Newbie brake light & turn signal issues

Coleman67

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All ! I have been working on a 1975 XS650B for the last couple of months and it's just about ready to go. However, I am hung up on an electrical issue I hope someone has encountered before. I did a bar swap on this bike & I noticed that some wiring behind the headlight had been replaced and reconnected (small bits, only a few inches long). Everything seemed to be working before I bought the bike, but after the bar swap, I can't get the brake light, turn signals or horn to work when the engine is running. When the key is in the "parking" position, everything is working fine, but when the key is turned to the "run" position, the blinkers, horn and brake light go out. the head light and tail light still work with engine running, but the other stuff does not. Did I incorrectly reconnect something when I was putting things back together ?

Sounds like it. The bike should not run in the park position. Just the lights.
If you look at a 75 wiring diagram you will see just what wires get power in which switch postions.
Leo

I have not got the circuit diagram to hand, but the obvious thing to me is you have lost the positive supply from the ignition when you switch to RUN. ok i am i big fan of making absolutely sure all my earths (ground connections) are top notch. This can not be over emphasised as vast majority of faults come down to earths. so please check your earth connections first i will grab a look at the diagram soon and if still having problems i will try to sort things out with more specific details. Andy

Back