Newbie, just sayin Hi

whacker48

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Just spent the last hour or so looking over all the info here and I gotta say that this site is AWESOME!

I just recently purchased a 81 xs650 special that I am planning on hardtailing and other things and I am glad I found this site.

Any advice for a newb starting his first build would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site whacker48! As you have already seen, there is a lot of good information and helpful folks on here. Almost any issue you may be having with your 650 has most likely already been addressed in this forum. The two search bars at the top of your screen are valuable tools for gathering the information you need. Simply type in your question and hit "search" ! Hope to see some pics of your bike & build soon!

Welcome Whacker48.

There's plenty of knowledge on the forum. My advice, follow the advice and enjoy taking stuff apart and putting it back together again. Oh! and post pics... we love pics.

ANLAF

Thanks guys.

When I say recently purchased I mean I haven't got it in my possession yet! I am picking it up after work tomorrow evening. Luckily I work in a machine shop how convenient is that going to be!

I will try to post some pics as I go.

Just picked it up today. Started the tear down process. Found a brand new battery and the guy I bought it form just had the carbs rebuilt by a Yamaha shop. I think someone has had the motor apart before, it has socket head cap screws in the covers.

It seems to run rather well took it on about 10 mile ride and everything worked except the rear brakes(tried both brakes before I rode it). The only thing that has me alittle nervous is the wiring. Any advice on that?

I may start a new thread with the pics and built progress but I'm planning on it being a slow built (1-1 1/2 years) as I have other things going on. Just couldn't pass up a running, complete bike for $500. Does anyone on here buy original parts? I plan on taking everything off intact.

Sorry to say but stock parts off a special are not um in "high" demand but post an ad in the classies you never know... I am always looking for really good front fenders.

Back