Newbie looking for advise.....

muddyape

Along for the ride
Reaction score
Looking at getting a XS650 to do a build. Been riding a Harley for the past few years (which I love and will never get rid of) but looking for a little brother. Found a 1973 xs650 (TX) just up the road. Looks good (says it was a barn find but who knows) wants $500. Not worried about the price, probably offer him $400 anyways but. Is a 73 ok? or should I look for '74 and up.? Seems there are some differences. Would I have a hard time with parts? Also, another guy is selling a '74 650 heritage special but says it was dropped and there is a holie in the oil tank? where are the oil tanks on these things? thanks in advance, great site. Here's my current ride.

Picture023.jpg

Hey Muddy good to see you on here, I'm over at HDforums also and I've always loved your bike.

As for the XS, I'm fairly new to them as well but I've been researching them for a couple years now. I got a 79 and I far as I know from 70-84 the basics are the same, engine, frame, Etc. Biggest differences I can think of besides cosmetics is different carbs and the ignition system upgrade in 1980. I guess it really comes down to what you are planning to do with it, chopper, bobber, cafe or restore. I went the bobber route so I shit canned most of the bike except for the engine, frame and a few of the basics.

Hope that helps and I know I'm missing somethings so the experts please feel free to chime in here.

The "Heritage Specials" were '82 & '83. The oil tank is incorporated in the engine case so I am assuming they mean a hole in the right (the left is dry) side engine case.
There were differences in the early and later motors, with parts availability better on the latter.
The frames/front ends were changed/improved '75 and on.
The electrics were changed in 79/80 going from points to electronic ing.
That was about it for Yamaha's contributions.
Since you've had numerous advances in the bike done by some great people.

Better ignition/firing and electronics.
Better carb diaphrams.
A better pivot shaft.
Lighting accessories.
Of course the various frame people including the new swingarm.
Worldwide support and parts availability.

Nice HD. I always liked that style instrument console.

With a bit of research you can find lots of things about the XS650.
A brief run down. 70 and 71 kickstart only. Front drum brake. 72 first year of electric start. 72-73 Had decompressors linked to start system. First style disc brake.
The 70-73 had a not so strong frame, in 74 they made many changes to the frame, made it stronger.Reworked the disc brakes.
77 they redid the disc brakes again. Went from a 34 mm fork to a 35 mm fork. Not to many big changes till 78 when the Special arrived.
Right from the start they changed the carbs every two years. Added more and more electrical things.
In 80 they changed from points ignition to the TCI electronic ignition, and combo reg/rec.
Early, 256 engines were changed to the later 447 engine in 74. Simplified it some.
These things apply to American models. The Canadaians had a few differences, the Europeans got the 533 engines.
The Austrailian website www.xs650.org.au/ has a buyers guide that explains the evolution of the 650.
Muddyape. The XS650 has no oil tank It is of unit construction with the engine, clutch and tranny sharing an oil supply. If the bike was dropped and the "oil tank" has a hole then the brake pedal was pushed into the right side engine cover hard enough to punch a hole in the cover. A not unheard of occurance.
Welcome to the board. There are many smart, good people on here that are here to help. A good place to start Is getting a repair manual. Biker.net has them as a download. At the top of the page click on where it says Tech. This takes you to a list of common things you might have questions about.
Leo

Last edited:
Back