newbie movin over from 650rider...

tmoe

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I started this over on 650Rider. I thought I would go ahead and move it over here.
I started back in August of 09 with a stock 79 XS650 Special. It wasn't running when I got it, so my first task was to get it running. I cleaned and reinstalled the stock carbs, and after some trying got it to fire up!
Then I started tearing it all apart, cut the frame and had a TC Bros hardtail welded on. Here are the pics that bring the build up to date......
79xs650.jpg

xs650frame.jpg

photo.jpg

650photo.jpg

tankfitting.jpg

xs650project.jpg

more to come......:D

It's been slow going, but I finally got around to fitting the rear fender and the sissy bar.
xs650side2-20-10.jpg

xs650rearfender.jpg

xs650rear.jpg

what do you guys think? :thumbsup: or :wtf:

- looking good, like the fuel sight line but not so sure about the tv in the workshop :umm:

I'm not a huge fan of sissy bars but it looks ok. The rear fender would look better closer to the tire. :twocents:

Overall the bike is coming along good. What carb holders are those?

Thanks guys, I agree the fender is too high. I'm gonna have to cut and re-attach the mounting points on the sissy bar to bring it down some.:mad:
Inxs...what's funny is the tv dont even work, and I'm to lazy to throw it out!
Travis... The carb "holders" are from joe-wiseguy (ebay), they angle out 15 degrees.
Thanks again for the comments, this is my first build and you guys have helped alot!:bike:

Last edited:
I guess "intake manifolds" would have been a better description vs. carb holders.. :shrug: I tend to call the rubber ones carbs holders and metal ones intakes manifolds (except for in the post above).

I saw a bike from Ardcore with the drilled out mags, I think it was Bad Penny. I may do the same. Its all gotta come back apart for paint any way, I'll consider doing it then.:shrug:

I think I finally decided on a name for my project.... Samurai Jack is my avatar, so his evil nemisis, Aku, shall be the bikes name.
sjandaku.jpg

9.jpg

:D
I think I'll have his likeness painted on the tank

Last edited:
Well guys... kinda workin backwards here but wanted to get it put together for final mock up, so i rattle canned some paint on the tank, fender, and electric box. Stuck it all together for a quick run around the neghborhood. i will be taking the motor back out real soon to take care of the cam chain guide and tensioner.
Here's a pic of how it looks today....
aku-1.jpg

:bike:

Hey Man.....likin yer build and Samurai Jack is the Shit.....!!
Hope to see more pics soon.....my build will start in a week or two.....weather changin....and the garage is thawing out....Ha Ha...

Thanks guys!
the tail light/plate came from Justified Defiance (ebay)
tank and sissy bar also from ebay although I'm not at home and cant remember who I got them from.
thanks again, I'll post up some more pics when it comes time to tear down the motor (real soon)!

Back