Newbie with questions, Need an Experienced Opinion

wannarat

wannarat
Reaction score
Hey to all
I am brand new to this Forum and to the xs650 scene. I like the bobber look and the culture of creating and designing your own look. A departure from the cookie cutter looks of other bike genres. I digress, what I wanted to know from some one who is ahead of me on the learning curve is a couple of specific things. Your answers of course only have to be your opinion and insight, not a carved in stone "right" answer.

1)Starting a newbie build, I'm mechanically competent, is a xs650 rebuild/bob too much for a starter? Would a single cyl. 400 be better?
2)Want 18" tires front and back, costly process for a rat bike? (Hubs= new spokes rims,tires. Willing to spend money but want to be strategic.
3) When buying a fixer, what year would you not buy(if any) why or why not? I'm guessing low miles obviously. Is there a best years group of xs650's that are better than others, why?
4) I've looked around this site a bit and see that you guys (maybe a few gals) are a pretty helpful enthused bunch. I enjoyed following the threads. Not that I know exactly what you're saying but looks like you all are real supportive of your fellow xs650'ers Thanks for any opinions you all have. Wannarat

Last edited:
74 up are probably best for you, the standards are spoke 19F 18Rear should be close enough? The Specials are 16 rear but swap buddies for the 16 aren't hard to find. Otherwise no big differences and the Xs650 is as easy to work on as most singles, easier than some. Advice and custom parts galore for those areas you might not be comfortable doing. The XS650 also does well as a boober if you decide to sell especially compared to smaller bikes. Not to mention this site rocks! Welcome aboard

gggGary,

Thanks for the input, which brings up another question. The spoke wheel and the cast wheels, What are the pros- cons on those? Obviously you'd HAVE to have straight cast wheels, but everything else being equal- is there a performance advantage to either?
Or is it more an aesthetic difference?
Look forward to everyone elses two cents worth too!!
-wannarat

mag rears were 16 only spoke rears were 16 on the specials 18 on the standards. Omars makes a conversion kit to put a 19" front on the rear with a disk brake but it's not in the typical uh ratbike budget

gggGary, you're right, this sight does rock, I ask a question and bam I get some solid advice from guys in the know. Thanks nj1639 and cros35
Will pick your brains more for sure.

Could you spoke an 18" rear rim to a front drum hub?

Sure might even be a spoke set that fits. 70-71 XS650 Drum front wheels are near gold...

The xs650 is a good choice. LOTS of parts, and plenty of help as you have found out. I would be willing to spend a bit more up front for a decent runner, if I was in your position.

Welcome, BTW.

John

Whatever you get, I would get it up and running 1st near stock. Learn all you can about the bike and get used to it for a season or 2, then move into the customizing. You see unfinished "projects" all the time on craigslist. "Lost interest" they say but I see it as some newbie who got in over his head. Building a custom bike AIN'T easy, nothing like those half hour chopper TV shows, lol.

5Twins speaks the truth! Dont buy one and cut it in half the first day waiting for your TC bros hardtail to arrive! lol Buy a ridable bike and ride it for at least a few month's first, there will be plenty of things to keep you occupied during that time. Sort out the wheels, forks, get the engine running properly. Then worry bout the bigger stuff.

+1 on buying a stocker and building a relationship with it. I've taken much advantage of bikes for sale on craigslist incomplete due strictly to inexperience aka lost interest. Spend a little time, they're out there, tinker, repair, most importantly ride so you know exactly how your machine
Will react/perform.

There's nothing harder on a new builder than having problems in every system on top of fabrication. It's like a perfect recipe for a Craigslist ad.

Lastly, once you do begin...
Buy a manual
Use the search function
Take advantage of the tech section
If you can't get it there, post a thread...but be specific, and give as much detail about the bike your slaving on for the best responses.

Best of luck!!

Posted via Mobile

Bigzakdaddy,Aussie,5Twins and Hook,
Sage advice, I've been talking to myself wondering if I'd end up head scratching and frustrated. Riding a quality stocker WOULD be a primer for the bike, frame size, dedication etc. to be sure I want to turn it into a parts pile...err custom. I re-read all your replies and hear some wise guys (good way). I'm gonna be looking for that gem in the rough, nice to know that when I find one there'll be someone out there to ask $64 questions of.
Thanks -wannarat

Something you need to ask yourself is " do I want to ride a custom bike" or "do I want to build a custom bike". They aren't the same thing. Most ofus love the build as much as the ride. If you aren't interested in the build look for something that is already 80% of what you want. Building is not a cheap venture.

since your in seattle, go over to wise guys customs in marysville in smokey point. He's a good guy to work with, and i am sure he will be a big help to you. he has a lot of 650s at his house. I bought a rotating assembly with 8k miles to replace a used up 16k assembly. these engines arent hard to rebiuld, but I will never buy another engine that dosnt run.
I had no chice...no swing arm, butchered wires, shattered piston, gravel in the crankcase, no gas tank, no wheels. I bought a cylinder kit, relapped the valves, and running good so far. only thing that broke so far is the tach drive adapter.
This is my first build. I bought well before this sight(or found it) in 05 for 50$. was just gonna be a extra credit thing for welding course, but I been ridding it up n down my drive way( have no brakes.)
search 'fn new guy for my biuld thread

I agree, 5twins has some good advice. I have had my xs for less than a year. It was pretty neglected when I got it and I didn't know anything about these bikes either. It's running great now, and the knowledge I have about my bike even now surprises me. My original goal was to just get it legal and running good. I have done that, and now I am more focused on upgrades and customization. This forum is a wealth of knowledge if you have time to read. It seems the more you learn about these bikes the more they become a part of you, and the more you enjoy them.

Angus67, Cool !!! "wise guys customs" is close (I didn't know it was there).

pahako, true that, I am learning a ton from you all.

hotrrd, can you tell me about "maxim 550 rear rim?" Got a pic of your bike?

Thanks - I need the knowledge and appreciate the time it takes for you all to respond.
-wannarat

Last edited:
Back