Dangermouse

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, just joined today and hoping there are some XS owners up here in the North East. Just about to pull my XS apart , charging problems, clutch drag and brakes need overhauling, Only owned it about 4 months, love the bike, owned one back in the day, it had a purple frame too! So will no doubt be making a nuisance of myself asking questions later. Already confused and the bike is a US import and the frame number is saying it is a 1980 SG, however bike was declared manufactured n 1979. frame number is 2FO with number range 200101-250000. Go figure

Attachments

• 20190412_183348.jpg
    20190412_183348.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 37
Welcome dangermouse,

Yea Vin no is correct for 80SG........Production dates straddled 2 years from August to July.......Aug 79 to July 80 = 80SG and your model has all the characteristics of that model. ..............Mag Wheels with Disk brake rear, (last year of the Mag with disc brake), clip-on seat, plastic side-covers with the Alloy grab-rail and the positions of the brake-light and Plate lite...............Your bike should have factory TCI, (electronic ignition), usually points would be under the chrome cap just above the spark plug on the right side of the engine............If it still has factory TCI there wont be any thing under the chrome cap.........there are aftermarket Electronic ignitions that use that space so have a look and let us know.

Warning before buying any thing ask first...........Lots of XS650 nuts on here and they fall over them selves answering questions..........Don't have anything better to do

Gauges should look like these..........but then the gauges from 76-83 can swap from bike to bike
8  80SG-81SH-82J-83K XS650.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I have the original gauges as well and they look like the photo you added. Bike has a TCI with no points. I was going to use Yambits in the UK for parts. But will be asking people first. First thing I will be doing when I build up the nerve is testing the alterantor, have already done the slap test however the magnet seemed week. Thanks again for verifying the bike year and model.

Sounds like your no novice..........helps if you give us a bit of a run down of your experiences and knowledge.......

By the way, the bike looks nice

Have had bikes for over 40 years , however more of a rider than a fixer. Electrics are my nemesis, like a dark art to me. I can do the basics servicing and maintenance as I am okay with the mechanical side of things, Not afraid to ask questions though. I like the look of the bike, makes people either smile or cringe :) . Makes me smile and that's why I love it. Have the Bonneville for the long trips, just come back form touring Northern Spain on the Bonnie, epic trip loved the roads. Just about to start researching the test you can do for the alternator, don't even know if my bike is mechanical regulator etc.

Reg/Rect should be a Solid state combined A type.............If they play up the cheapest and best way to replace is using an Automotive Regulator and 3 Phase rectifier..........Couple of links
http://www.xs650.com/threads/type-a-regulators.48296/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/creating-a-new-regulator-rectifier-from-scratch-1980-and-up.52990/

Will need to confirm the ignition is Electronic..........

Some light reading on identifying and trouble shooting the Charging system
http://www.xs650.com/threads/expanded-charging-system-guide-in-progress.10561/

have a good night.......10.15 here....

out

Hi Dangermouse, welcome to the forum!

I can’t sing the praises of the guys on this site loud enough, people are so helpful and there is an incredibly deep pool of knowledge.

Whereabouts in the UK are you based?

Daniel.

Hi Dangermouse, welcome to the forum!

I can’t sing the praises of the guys on this site loud enough, people are so helpful and there is an incredibly deep pool of knowledge.

+1

Also a relative newbie, I bought my XS at end of May but haven't ridden it yet! Bought in the belief it was a runner but instead I have a project.

Not too far away - Scottish Borders - but you will probably find XS owners nearer to home.

I would have balked at the work needed on my 1978 XS650SE/E without the help and encouragement of the reprobates who live here.

Like yourself, a rider not a fixer. Also like yourself, used to be a complete electroramous and saw electrics as a dark art. But a complete re-wire on my Triumph TR6 went a long way to curing me of that. The hidden truth is that beneath the obvious complexity, the underlying principles of the electrics are quite easy to understand - why not take a look at my post at http://www.xs650.com/posts/602716/ posting #7 for illustration of the point?

Have fun with your lovely XS, cheers, Raymond

thanks for the replies, I am based just south of Middlesbrough, just 10 mins from the Yorkshire moors and dales. will be waiting a little to start on my bike as it runs great at the moment, just have a range of about 50 mils before battery gives out, it will still run as long as I keep the revs up. Will have a look at your post Raymondo. At work at the mo so cannot spend too much time on the pc.

Back