sivarTi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been searching a 700 mile radius daily on CL for 6 months and was always the second caller on every bike in my price range. As luck would have it on Mothers Day I was driving with my wife and kids when she spotted an 80 650 about 3 blocks off the main road sitting on the sidewalk. I walked up and a little girl asked me if I was the guy here to look at the bike, I didn't even blink... "why yes I am" I said. After a quick trip to the atm I came back exchanged cash for a set of keys, a helmet, title and road off on my new 460.00 project bike.

I do allot of fab work in town here so today was the first day I got to start looking at what I've got to do. Seems like quite a bit but with some luck and a some cash I'll be riding asap. I have a list of questions, if searching doesn't provide answers I'll be here asking soon enough. I have plans, nothing to set the world on fire but I am looking forward to getting under way.

Reminds me of when I was buying my Porsche, I flew like a bat out of hell to get to the lady selling it. There was someone on his way to check it out and I beat him by like 20min, and always cash talks.

Don't you love knowing you finally beat someone to the punch :D

We always love pics, welcome to the group :thumbsup:

Here is a pic of the beast. I updated info too, I'm in Spokane WA. As far as I can figure right now someone has rejetted it from stock but not too far. They also drilled out the end of the mufflers so the bike is loud as hell. I'm having issues getting the smallest jet out, someone stripped the head out of it so I'm looking for advice there. I bought a new tank already and a few other things as well. Front fender is gone, off another bike anyhow I think. Carbs are off, valve covers are off. The timing chain is set and looks good. The starter solenoid is out, it clicks but doesn't effect the starter however a screwdriver accross the posts fires it right up.

myxs650.jpg

Here's a pic of my sidework that keeps me too busy. Suzuki exo cage and roof rack.
P1000836.jpg

So I've had some time to get out and work on the bike. I pulled the carbs and went through them, they gave me some trouble. I can't get one of the jets out, the flat tip was stripped out so I need to easy out the jet. The air fuel mixture screw once drilled out did the same thing. After allot of work I got it out, PB blaster helped.

Lashed the valves and started cleaning up things a bit. I bought a tank, rough on the outside but super clean inside. I pulled the battery box and mocked up a new box that will house all the wiring, starter solenoid, rectifier etc. I hope there is no issue with putting the ignition module and rectifire inside with the battery. I don't plan to add much in the line of venting for it. Please advise if it's a poor idea.

I have a ton of carb questions but will keep reading. I hope to be making a large order from Mikes XS next week. I'm doing the Mac 2/1 exhaust, already have pods. Order to include filter, sump filter, gasket and a bunch of other doo dads. With any luck I'll be down to tires, bars and licensing to get it on the road. Of course it won't be done but I want to start riding it while I work on it.

P1000967.jpg

That roll cage and roof rack look cool and practical. Your project looks good. What's your plans for it?

Thanks, that cage project was a fun one.

XS plans? shoot I don't know. I want to ride the darn thing again soon. As you read I have some stuff to order but the basic idea is a slim line seat, lower the rear 3" or so and the front about 1". Mac 2 into 1. I'll ride it through the summer and save up for some new parts. Basic stuff, delete the 2 piece front brake line, large headlight and look for a better set of turn signals and tail light setup. Like I said, nothing to set the world on fire. One thing about building stuff for people all the time is it has made building stuff for myself not so fun. Clean and simple, the idea is to ride and get the hell out of the garage.

Had some time today to work on the bike. I bought a couple boxes of parts from a local guy building a bobber so I started swapping. After a little rubbing compound I was able to polish the tach/spedo bezels up nicely, my ignition switch was toast as were the turn signal hi/low hand controls so all that got done today. The rear wheel was raunchy with dirt and oil so I spent some time on it too. I just ordered some Shinko 712 front and rear tires a few minutes ago. Got them shipped from JC Whit for 107.00 thanks to google revealing a promo code. I read some mixed reviews but for the price I couldn't pass on them with the idea of getting the bike back on the road. I'll post up some progress pics, I did however find the picture of the bike that got me started. I'm not going to build mine as stripped down as his.

Attachments

• yammy side.jpg
    yammy side.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 129
  • yammyxs.jpg
    yammyxs.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 151
Been a while since my last update. I'll post some pictures tomorrow but tonight I'm pretty jacked. I rode the bike for the first time since the day I bought it on Mothers day. I put a charge on the battery while I finished up all my the wiring projects and bleading brakes etc. Got the choked detents fixed and all the other odds and ends then I crossed my fingers, poured in some gas and fired it up. Sounded odd but I was bottle feeding the fuel line, once the second carb filled up and the cyl took off I could tell I was in business.

So after a couple of slow passes and brake checks I took off but after .2 of a mile it started running like it did the day I bought it. Brought it back, tried to fire it up but it wouldn't stay running and after 2 more cranks the battery was dead. 10 volts so I ran and grabbed a new battery, charged it and what a difference a few volts makes. After a few mile ride I'm still almost at 13 volts when the bike is off.

My right turn signal makes an odd noise when I use it but my left works ok, I think its time to swap to new blinkers modules. All and all I'm very happy, I do however think the brakes could be better. Mine is disk/disk, I just don't think they're all that great.

I love that buying story. I've bought things out from under people who were slow on the draw. Carpe Pacto indeed

I've been busy and as I've said in this thread I have the bike together and have put about 900 miles on it. Bike runs great, a little rich but I bought new jets for that. Thinking about a set of Mikes carbs for it this spring. Here is how the bike sits right now however the seat is for sale as it just doesn't look how I want. My nice tank is in being painted and I'm going to swap out for some new bars and once I get a seat on there that fits the whole bike will come back apart to have the frame finished. For cost sake I'm thinking powder coat. Anyhow here is my updated pic.

By the by I rebuilt the front MC and piston as well as the rear and put new pads on f/r too. Got my blinker figured out, bike charges great. Time to do the timing chain tensioner, upper gaskets and swing arm bushings all due to be done at the same time as the frame gets painted. Can't say enough about these bikes, very fun. Looking forward to rebuilding some mad money funds for those carbs, sound like a nice upgrade over the 80/up carbs.
MYBike.jpg

Hey, that was ME they were waiting for to look at that bike!! Really, nice bike,great find,and way to think on your feet. Sometimes you gotta be that guy that says "yes,that table for four is four me".

Back