Newby chopping a 72?

I have neck reinforcing plates already cut out, I will weld them on when I have permanently welded the frame. The frame is only lightly tacked at the moment.

yeah I guessed you would but there are some amazingly dangerous hacked frames out there so its best not to assume I guess.

Have you decided on a frame colour yet ?

Exactly! I have this 3-panel cartoon in my head:
Panel 1 - chopper dude crusing happily.
Panel 2 - Smacks into brick wall.
Panel 3 - Dazed dude rides off on scrunched-up brat bike...
HAHA. you just descrbed my bike! Ive got a sporty mounted high, high pegs, mini apes, hardtailed, but the head , I never changed. Ive thought that a few times about my bike. wish I could rake my front just a little to get rid of that "bulldog" look.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30473&stc=1&d=1369792690

Attachments

• GetAttachment-vi.jpg
    GetAttachment-vi.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 282
I have a 16" rear from a 1978 that's in perfect condition with a great tire on it for sale. If you have an 18" I'll do you a straight swap.

So you have an 18" rear spoke that youll swap out for my 16"? If so can you post some pics for me? Mines pretty much perfect. I'll snap some pics and post.

yes, it is going fine. I have bought a weld-on hardtail for it, and I am waiting for it to arrive. I have lowered the front forks 2.5 inches. I am in the process of doing some electrics. I have made a 2-1 inlet manifold with a SU HS4 carb on it, I am having trouble getting that to run properly. It will start but not run. More work to do. I shall post more pics soon.

uh,oh, here it comes!!
I thought a bobber was just lightened up, using stock suspension, front and rear, minimal electrics. and chops were hardtailed and raked.
I guesse mines a bopper.lol
Btw, james, I can never stop staring at your bike. gives me a chub! I hope to see it in person someday, alfredo's bike, too. rubber down, amigo!!

Last edited:
Or a chobber,

Anyway, if it fires that's something, if it won't run, that's something else, The carb experts amongst us will dive in if they see this, but you might want to start a new thread so people can see. The pilot jet handles the tick over, so if is not getting there there are some adaptions needed. I don't know much about the SU HS4 - others will.

Anlaf

Back