Next project..... 1975 Xs

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
75 crash bars.jpg Xs 75 filter.jpg Xs 75 jets.jpg Xs 75 petcock.jpg XS 75 tank.jpg Today we took in a nice 75' Xs... very nice... best look'n set of mufflers I've seen in a long time. Has THE worlds ugliest crash bars.... note the black electrical tape on the fork seal..which coated the rotor and did nasty to the caliper.
The bike reportedly sat for six years.... the electrical system checked out.. I tossed in light 3-1 oil in the plug holes.... waited about 20 minutes.. compression was 150 on each side... we flushed the fuel tank 3 times.... the photo of the pan is the 3rd flush.... I opened the petcocks ... Dang ! ..... air filter falling apart..... the carbs... two words.. Ugh.. lee...... Diaphamrs stuck... to get the jets out.. I have two special screwdrivers.... they fit the slot on the jets perfectly..... I place them in a vise.. and place the jets on the screwdrivers.. rock bowl back and forth... works every time.
This will not be a restoration.. but bring back to rideable. Rebuilt carbs, forks.... new tires... replace chains-sprockets (17-32).... etc etc etc.

HOLY COW - what on earth is inside that petcock?

It looks like a mixture of yogurt, coffee grounds and dogsh!t....

How do the tins look (the stock '75 colour scheme is my favourite...)?

Back