Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

The old Amal bores wear because they made the slides out if the same pot metal material. New Amal Premiers have hard anodized aluminum slides that do not wear. For the record. ; )

Reseated float needles and still leaking. Everything looked clean and I used the q-tip method to clean it out. Next step is to measure and set the float height. Trying to do one thing at a time so I can narrow down what's going on...

Also, just to be sure, the needles are set at the middle position, and I have a clip in the very top most position to hold it in place. Is this sufficient? Or do I need to do something like mrriggs and get a brake line and make a donut like that?

Well crap...I don't have the original needles...but why only one side leaking and not the other? I"m going to get some clear line and test the float level...that has to be the problem. Might just be a worn float jet.

Last edited:
On these carbs with the floats set right the fuel level is at or slightly above the sealing surface of the float bowl. A poor float bowl gasket can leak fuel.
mine leaked a bit when I first installed them. Ordered new float bowl gaskets but the old ones stopped leaking before they got here.
I guess they got dried out as they sat around, after soaking up fuel they swelled enough to seal.
Leo

The clip won't do it. Like troop said use the donut off the old needle like mrriggs did.

Well crap...I don't have the original needles...

Mseriously, if you haven't got the old needles either make some donuts or go buy 'em. Here's the info from my post #156:

"I'm getting back into this with a passion now! I've put a 'mrriggs' 38/138/JJJ tune on my ex-GPZ500 carbs with the exception of having two brass collars machined up for the needles instead of using the aluminium ones off the original needles. They are 6mm dia, 1.6 thick with a 2.6mm hole as per the CVK/PWK hybrid. Afterwards, by accident, while 'surfing' I came across a CVK34 that is fitted to a 1997-2007 Kawasaki KLX300 (and other KLX and KLR variants) which has an adjustable N1-TC needle with seperate clip and collar. The collars, OEM#92143-1667, appear to be the same as those I've had machined up so I'd suggest ordering a pair at the same time you order your PWK needles. I hope that helps someone."

As for the float levels, which I suspect is your problem or possibly a worn/damaged bowl gasket, set it no higher than +0.5mm above the float chamber gasket line. Read up on how to do it properly if you're not sure but be patient and set it right. Oh, and while they're out, check your floats in hot water to find out if they're punctured. And the float bowl screws only need to be 'tightly nipped' up to form a seal with a good gasket. If they're still leaking get new gaskets.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. Ended up being either a plugged up emulsion tube or the needle jet wasn't seated properly.

I pulled the tubes and cleaned them out real well and blasted air through them. At the same time I also took out the needle and inspected it then put it all back in and pushed up and down on the action a few times and let it "thwack" back into place....kinda like mrriggs had suggested at some point. I did feel something kinda "give" when I did that and I want to say that was the problem?

Either way, after performing those two actions, it stopped. Idles, accelerates great. Awesome learning experience...at this point I need to double check the float level as I think I have them a bit low and the bike suffers at highway speeds when warmed up like it's starving for fuel. Either that, or I just need to tune some more.

Anyway. I'll be back or might start another thread if I have any issues. One more thing: http://www.venhillusa.com/venhill-universal-motorcycle-throttle-cable-kit.html

That was a great piece of gear. Hooked it up pretty easily and the price is right. Has all the doo dads and bits for most every throttle cable. There's even a set up for "dual" cables if you go that route. Bout 40 bucks or so I think for the dual set up and just 17 for the single set up that I went with.

Hey guys, I'm having trouble identifying which needles I need to buy, nothing I find specifies the cvk carb, are the pwk ones the ones i need?

5" Uni Filter
138 main jets
38. Pilot jets
GJH needles on bottom slot with shim

this is what I want to run on my xs650 with stock pipes
Id like to buy everything from the same store if possible to save on shipping cost

Also my carbs don't have a mixture screw, is this something I can add after popping out the plugs where the mixture screws would normally go?

Thanks

You can get the needles from here.

You pop out the plugs and the screws are in there, the plugs are in fact covers. BTW careful when drilling them out that you don't damage the screws, although you may want to switch to mix screws that actually stick out from the body...

Should run well with that setup, good luck.

You can get the needles from here.

You pop out the plugs and the screws are in there, the plugs are in fact covers. BTW careful when drilling them out that you don't damage the screws, although you may want to switch to mix screws that actually stick out from the body...

Should run well with that setup, good luck.

Thank you for your quick accurate response! :thumbsup:

Just finished installing these carbs and judging from a short initial ride they are great.

If your are wavering on the edge of doing this conversion go for it.

The only information to add to this thread is that I used a CRF 450 throttle and cables (shortenend the pull cable by 25mm). The bike has flat handle bars.

Thank you to all who have shared their knowledge.

Good to hear you like them. What needles and jets are you running and clip slot. They are nice carbs. Saw some nice ones on ebay $100 shipped.

Main jet 140, Pilot 40, JJJ Needles 4th slot. Uni Pod filters
This is how they are now and from short ride I had they seem pretty good. Altitude sea level near enough.
Bike is 750cc with around 10:1 compression, 277 rephase, Webb 59a cam, R& D springs, commando style exhausts with antireversion inserts, Probe ignition. Ports have had a casting flash clean up only.

Okay, I've been fighting a leaky crossover tube and either a float height or pilot circuit issue on the right carb with my bike. I'm gonna give the EX500 carbs a try. I scored a clean set of 2009 carbs off ebay for reasonable... and have 40/140/jjj jets and needles on the way. Hoping to have all the parts I need by Fri/Sat so that I can get right on the conversion....

(edit: I dug in and found I have a bad float valve on one of my BS34s. I ordered parts to rebuild the float valves on both carbs to get them up to snuff. I'll get these right in a few days and set them aside while I do the CVK carb retrofit and have a kick ass set of 34s available for later down the road.)

I am running 12" apes currently and was going to cut my extra extended length cable to suit. What's the free inner cable length that you guys are finding you need? Do you need more than the stock cable requires or are you just needing to cut to length with the same free play?

Last edited:
Signal good choice on the jetting the JJJ should work really good with your motor set up. It should haul ass with these carbs. Try a few clip changes to see what works best.

Got my CVK carbs on and running great... 40/140/JJJ combination... Bike runs amazing now...
989C1F1C-5244-4AF2-985F-515FBE9741FE_zpsluiqctcu.jpg

Back