Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

I don't know what gen of PWK's you bought or even if they are the mikes knockoffs but mrRiggs did a whole long write about his trials and tribulations with his set of mikes PWK's. You may want to take a look at it (I am too lazy to look it up but it is out there).

What work did you do on the PWK to get them to run? I'm toying with the idea of getting some ninja carbs as backups to the PWK's that I bought used, just don't know what exactly to do...

I had a set of Mikes XS PWK's on my bike for a little while I had to smooth out the slides and inner surface of the carb they rode on with 1200 grit sandpaper just to get them to work half way decent. Never could get them to idle perfect or run consistently. I sold the whole kit on e-bay used for about what the CVK swap cost me. I would recommend it. The CVK's are much easier to dial in. There is a ton of info in this thread on the swap. I used jetting that many others had already had success with.I did modify one of the carb brackets where it was hitting the frame and devised a choke knob. If you try the CVK's you'll be selling the PWK's.

ok, great. I did read through Riggs' thread. I've already bead blasted my PWK slides, but for the price of the CVK's, I couldn't say no! (freshly rebuilt for $80 shipped)

I'll likely be selling the PWK's and rebuilt BS's later on. Thanks for the info guys.

Took my bike out over the weekend and put it through it's paces. Seemed to run really well with my initial set up. (40 pilot, 138 main, clip 3rd position, 2 turns out on the mixture screw.) Thanks to all the info on here it made it a breeze to dial in. Very smooth through the entire range. Pulls really nice off the bottom now and accelerates steady to red line. I know others used uni filters, but mine works great with the K&N's. It was about 60 degrees on my ride. I am hoping it won't need much adjusting for those 90 degree summer days.

New Member here, My bike is fitted with Omar's 1-3/4 Mile pipes i have since found out they are not very efficient at low revs and need D/rings . Having read this excellent thread with all the hard work done by others i bought a set of GPZ 500 carbs pronto to replace the snowmobile 2 stroke mikuni flat slides that have been giving me big jetting problems a friend brought them back from the states for me. I'm going to go with the JJJ needle and 38/138 jets i'll order these from jets rus via a friend in the states as international orders are a little tedious. Should i order any other sized needles and jets due to the pipes i am running , any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Yes. Order a few sizes. I gave up on mine as it is very hard to get the needles here. And jets r us won't send here. Jjj needles didn't work for me. Back to my almost sorted bs34

Had good read again of this post again i'll order 40/140 and 38/138 jets and may be another needle type. Sorry to hear about your carby woes CDNT it could be some other gremlin causing you problems just a thought . Jets rus won't send parts to Canada and you are a next door neighbour that is a bit odd, i guess it's not for me to question why.

having the extra jets on hand makes the tuning process easier. Set the carb up one way, test it. If you have the parts on hand you make a change, test it.
Having to order more parts really slows things down.
Leo

It's definitely needles. Jjj give me lean break up. Bike idles nice and once north of 5k rpm cleans up nice. Jets r us will send to Canada if you use snail mail and a money order. But in all honestly if you can't operate a business with PayPal or even credit card in 2015 GFY. Millions of other companies manage it fine and I happily shop with them if I can't find it locally .

That's why I'm going back to my bs34. I have a ton of jets now and small air jets too.

I'll order another type of needle as well, saves having to reorder again and waiting on the other side of the pond Leo.
CD that about sums it up about jets rus it has me why as well, but it is one stop shopping and everything i need, only hassle is having the family friend in Texas do the ordering, making the payment and posting to Oz. No big deal i guess

I'll order another type of needle as well, saves having to reorder again and waiting on the other side of the pond Leo.
CD that about sums it up about jets rus it has me why as well, but it is one stop shopping and everything i need, only hassle is having the family friend in Texas do the ordering, making the payment and posting to Oz. No big deal i guess

This is what I had after I had after I had got rid of the hanging idle:

Float level: 0.5mm - 1.0mm above the gasket line
Pilot: 40
Mixture screws: 2 1/4 turns out initially
Main jet: 138
Needle: JJJ on #5
Sync'd

With the hanging eliminated I was most content over quite a few more happy miles ridden both open road and urban. But once I'd got used to it I then began to detect a small bog at town speeds at the off idle/idle/off idle transition (y'know, throttle on/throttle off/throttle on). Nothing to pee me off big style but there all the same. So I'm currently messing about with needles to improve performance off, above and way beyond idle ..........

Thought I'd better let you know what I ended up with. What with the low speed/rpm stumble present even with #40 pilots and a seat-of-the-pants feeling and plug chops indicating that it was running rich when on the lower portion of the needle I decided that I needed a one of the same overall length but with a smaller diameter and a narrower taper. The best I could find was an HKH......and now that it's dialled in it's done the trick; it runs sweet as a nut! The clip is in groove #3 and the mixture screws at about 2 1/2 turns out.

56nomad, On the stock carbs I got the same response as you describe, it was caused by the pods I was using. I had K&N tapered oval pleated element pods. These caused to much airflow turbulence through the carb, upsetting the vacuum signal to the diaphragm. This caused the off idle surge/stumble, hesitation. Call it what you will.
I tried the UNI-Filter foam filters. The off idle issues disappeared.
I'm using the same Uni-Filters on the EX500 carbs and run very well.
Leo

Thanks for that, XSLeo, but I've been running Pipercross foam filters (same as UNIs) ever since I first fitted these carbs. I've never taken to 'open' K&Ns although in the early days of this thread I did consider running them in an airbox/plenum or shrouded.

After much deliberation and agonising I'll order the GFH and JJJ needles .

Just a quick heads up, ducatiman (carb guru on the EX500 forums) will potentially start selling a stainless hardware kit along with rebuild kits, Suzuki inline filters and other parts for these carbs. The 'Zuk filters are a great add-on for a stealthy filter addition: http://www.ex-500.com/index.php?topic=24823.0

He's a member on here too, but he's not near as active as he is on the other forums. Very stand-up person with great prices and customer service. Should be a lot easier than tracking down the parts yourself. No, I'm not affiliated with this guy at all, just wanted to pass the info along for those that want a one-stop-shop for carb parts.

I'm having a hard time sourcing the jets and needles up here in Canada, anyone have a Canadian source or willing to ship up to me?

I had the same problem. That's why I went back to bs34. Had to order needles from the UK. They only have a few needles. Jjj was the only recommended one.

anyone know of any alternate carb tops? I heard ones from CVK36's (newer Bonneville's and the like) bolt right up, but i've not found any confirmation in that. Anyone know for sure?? I'd like to get a nicer looking one than the plastic cap. Thanks!!

mrriggs found some that work. But I don't remember the particulars. It might be in this thread. . . . somewhere.

Back