Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

Mine looked amazing outside, inside was a sticky mess. I think my enricher circuit is still gummed up ... Taking them off the bike and giving them another cleaning, that's for Sunday... I can't start the bike cold hardly.

Hi Guys,

Just purchased some 2005 ER5 carbs, I've inspected them and they are VERY clean. About to order my jets and needles based on whats tried and true in this tread.

Can someone please identify the hoses that are shown in the below pic and confirm if I am on the right track. Thanks heaps.

exgWJuU.png

Block off/cap? - Cap - these are for testing with vacuum gauges to sync the butterflies.
Fuel In - Yes
Coolant? - I don't have these, but would remove and cap.
What are these hoses for? - float bowl vents to allow air into the float bowl area, a must have.

Good look set. Good luck.

I agree with Brian902 on everything. just want to add that on the two vacuum barbs one was capped, the other ran to the petcock.
Some of the later engines were water cooled. They ran water to the carbs to warm the fuel and the carbs. Warm fuel burns better, and warm carbs won't ice up in cool damp weather.
I like how the idle speed adjuster comes out to the side. Mine comes down in between.
Leo

Block off/cap? - Cap - these are for testing with vacuum gauges to sync the butterflies.
Fuel In - Yes
Coolant? - I don't have these, but would remove and cap.
What are these hoses for? - float bowl vents to allow air into the float bowl area, a must have.

Good look set. Good luck.

Thanks Brian, I'm excited about giving this a nudge. This has been good for my motivation! Just what I needed, to breathe a little life into my project.

Thanks XSLeo.

Theres a little bracket that holds the idle adjuster to the side. I can take some pics of it if you want to see how its made, I think It'd be pretty straightforward to replicate if you wanted too.

I like the fact that you can turn the idle adjustment without a screwdriver! I was sick of using a screwdriver to adjust my 34s

I'm thinking I'll shift my idle speed adjuster out the side as well, which reminds me the mile flat track pipes make working on the left hand side carby a pain in the backside, still waiting for the jets and needles to arrive from jets r us via a friend from Texas. Muks you are right on about the motivation factor it certainly got me moving again.

Last edited:
So were ER5's non-US? I can't find parts lists and fiches for them when checking the usual US sources. That side idle adjustment would be a lot more convenient - looks like it would be plug-and-play on EX500 CVK's.

Thanks, ippy - looks like a Dutch company, so I guess ER5's were marketed in Europe if not in US. 50 euros plus S&H just too much for me.

Kawasaki P/N 160211124 throttle screw stop also used on 1990 KX500 and 1993-1994 KDX200 and 250's - $15.22 from eReplacementParts.com plus S&H to your address. S&H for me was $4.95, so for $20, I bought it. S&H on other websites offering 160211124 was 3 times as much.

hey aldo hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is 160211214 not 160211124 and they are available from partzilla for $61.15 + $8.95 shipping. May be you can cancel your order since on ereplacementparts.com it says it will leave in 16-22 days.

Oh, ippy, you are so right - it's hell gettin' old and blind - shuda known it sounded too good - not worth $61 to me - thanx for correcting me

Found a similar part on carb parts diagram for 2000 Kawasaki EJ 650, which was sold in US. Same prefix - 16021 - but suffix is 1228, not 1214. Dunno what the difference might be, but if anyone out there can find a set of carbs off an EJ 650 and take a look, we might at least identify a donor bike for this part right here in the good ole USA.

Do you really need that part? It's not like the regular knob is so hard to reach, and besides, once set it won't move a whole lot. I've fiddled with it at red lights and didn't think it was all that bad a location...

No, certainly don't really need it - it would be a convenience at best if available used for $10 or so, but an easy "pass" at new part prices. On both my Virago and 650, in warm weather, I am in the habit of turning up the idle to start "cold", instead of using the enricher - in fact, the Virago has a thumbwheel on the idle speed screw just for this purpose. Good to hear the stock screw is easy to reach - I haven't installed my CVK's yet, so haven't had the experience myself.

So I was unable to start my 650 w/CVK carbs after it sat all winter. And back in the fall it would barely start cold...

So I ordered new Needle valves (because I had not replaced them last year) and I wanted to try running 38 pilots instead of the 40s... my plugs were a little darker than I would have liked them to be but still in the acceptable range.

But while I had the carbs off and opened up for that I cleaned the shit out of them. fished a bit of guitar string (yep I'm a player) through the passages and found a couple of clogged ones. A little carb cleaner and some poking got those cleared up and I buttoned it back up. Put the carbs back on and damn thing started right up... Choke is working properly too. All is well...

Went for a spirited ride today, this is the third or fourth test run everything has been wonderful with these carbs so far.... Bike would die when idling, mixture screw fell out some how.

Fantastic.

Back