Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

If your mixture screw fell out it might be that you had it turned out to far. to get the proper adjustment. The spring is what holds the screw from turning. If the screw is too far out the spring can't hold the screw.
If you need the screws adjusted that far out you may need to go one up on the pilot jets.
Leo

Went for a spirited ride today, this is the third or fourth test run everything has been wonderful with these carbs so far.... Bike would die when idling, mixture screw fell out some how.

Fantastic.

Did you find your mix screw?

Mine was 1/2 turn out and fucking fell out today on my right carb... goddamn it...

Where can I find a replacement?

Mine where 2 turns out, the other side was fine. Oh well, it's always handy to have a rebuild kit on hand anyways.

Ok 1st post.. I'm 20yrs old and my background in motorcycles has been all fuel injected 600 streetbikes.
I've cleaned dirt bike carburetor's and have done top ends.
This is my first xs 650 hard tail bobber I purchased it off a friend who had it running last year. He left it outside all winter.. We had 108 inches of snow this year in Boston. The bike did not have any air filters on the stock carbs. The carbs looke "chalky" and the slides in the inside were preety stiff. So I stumbled across this thread figuring I would just by new carbs because these ones preety much just got shitted on by newengland.
1982 xs 650 straight pipes..
This is what I purchased am I missing anything
..2006 ex500 carbs
..Up 4229 ini air filter
..138 & 140 main jet
.. 38 &. 40 secondary
.. Jjj &. Gjk. Needles. Off jets r us
I read something about putting something in. Different carb slots..
Like slot #3. Through 1-5
I also read something about setting a height for something.
If some one could give me a base line too start off with it would be appreciated. I'll have someone help me with the carbs I just need to know what to set stuff at. After it runs we should be able to figure it out. Thanks guys!:smoke:

No that's all you'd need really. Throttle cables are different so you'll need to Mcgyver something.

As for the slots those are on the needle, you need needle clips to place in the slots to fine tune. Also be aware that if they are american carbs there is going to be screws capped off that you will need to drill through and pop out.

Float heights?

Enjoy the XS

Do I need to buy needle clips? And yes what should I set my float height at? I also bought 5/16" fuel line.
I think I will try to start the bike with
Jjj needles

Last edited:
138/38/jjj/3rd is what my bike runs on. Carburation is perfect.

You'll need to buy the clips, they're pennies.

See post #322 in this thread for an easy, economical cable fix. On the front side of the carb, there is a "tube" below the carb bore that points downward. This holds the idle mix screw. In the US, federal regulations for many years have required this tube to be plugged off so no adjustments could be made after the bike left the factory. On these carbs, the plug is a thin, circular piece of aluminum. If it's still there in your carbs, it sits just above the top of the idle mix screw, so be extremely careful in removing them. The process is to center-drill the plug with a small diameter drill bit, just enough to start a screw that you can then grab to pull out the plug - it's not in there very tight. The risk is that when you drill the hole, the drill breaks through and goes on down and damages the idle screw. I hand-drilled mine to prevent that. See Step 5 in the Carburetor Maintenance write-up on EX500.com. http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php?title=Carburetor_Maintenance

Last edited:
It says run the cm400t cable. But i feel that the cable isn't going to be long enough with my 12inch mini apes.. How should I go about this?

I have not tried my throttle cables as of now but I have the originals from Ninja 500 along with a throttle housing in which I gutted all of the electrics. I lookas if will work.

Guys,

We have just bought a racing sidecar with an XS650 engine in bits however it doesn't have any carbs. The frame does have an electric fuel pump. It's proving difficult to find genuine Yam carbs up here in Canada.

So from what y'all know ... is this EX500 conversion a good one and will it work for Racing purposes ?

Or is there a better carb that I should consider as will be riding this thing like we stole it ..

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I fix computers not motorcycles and some of this is Rocket Science to me :)

Mick

Forgot to say that the engine is a 77/78

Or ... if we can get the proper XS carbs should we be looking at the 34 or 34's .. again for racing purposes.

Thanks

Mick

Check what you are allowed to run in your class before you buy any carbs.

I have seen XS 650 based post classic sidecars here in NZ run standard XS carbs and Mikuni VM carbs.
I can't remember the exact wording of the rules but flat slides are prohibited and carbs must have been in use when the bike was new.

I think the EX500 carbs would be pretty good for racing but I believe they are too new a design to fit within the rules here.

Here is a link to an XS outfit running a Webber.http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=102875.50

Yup - that's the bike I have bought minus the engine & Weber carb.

Do you happen to know if that would be eligible for US racing ? Ahmra maybe ?

Back