No brake light...

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I dont have a rear brake switch and it was working fine 2 days ago. The tail light comes on but nothing happens when I pull the brake lever. Not the bulb. What else could it be?

Posted via Mobile

Your 12V from the switch to the brake light element, not the running light. The running light and braking light have different wires. Bust out the trusty digital volt/ohm meter and check it out.

Also make sure the brake switch is pulling out far enough to work as well. Spring could be worn out and not pulling enough.

So I think it's the switch that went bad. I jumped the wires together and the light came on. Why couldn't this break like 3 weeks ago before I ordered my other stuff from mikes?

Posted via Mobile

Can it be anything else besides the switch if I jumped the two wires and it lit the brake light?
Which switch do I have? I can't tell. There's more than 1 on mikes for my year...

59effcfb.jpg

e2197953.jpg

Posted via Mobile

So I dont have a rear brake switch and it was working fine 2 days ago. The tail light comes on but nothing happens when I pull the brake lever. Not the bulb. What else could it be?

Posted via Mobile

:confused:
1. Do you have a rear brake switch/

2. If so, is it not now working when it was a couple of days ago?

3. If it is the rear switch why are you using the front lever for that switch?

The front and rear brake switches work independently.

The front brake switch looks like this
Switch_0858.jpg

Fits into the brake lever housing on the front of the bars closer to the headlamp.

I have no rear brake switch. Just the front, i bought 2 Rear switches though and im going to find a way To mount it. So is that front the switch that I need? Is all of that black part behind the chrome piece on my brake assembly?

Posted via Mobile

Mike's only has one rear brake light switch, part #12-0009, which fits all models. It is mechanical and mounts to a tab on the frame .....

RearBrakeSwitch.jpg

It's spring hooks to the bracket on the back of the pedal pivot. When you step on the pedal, it pulls the spring which pulls the pin out on the switch, activating it.

Your front switch is an aftermarket combination banjo bolt and switch. It is the hydraulic type and I don't think there's any way to take them apart to fix them. Mike's sells 2 versions of those with different threads on the bolt. You will need to determine the thread pitch on yours to get a proper replacement.

So someone changed mine? There's no way to go back to the original one is there without changing All of my brake stuff?

And the loop on the rear of the frame has been cut off on mine. Gotta make a new mount...

Posted via Mobile

Is yours a pressure switch? Its hard to see the pictures but it looks like one. If thats the case search for pressure switches.

So someone changed mine? There's no way to go back to the original one is there without changing All of my brake stuff?

And the loop on the rear of the frame has been cut off on mine. Gotta make a new mount...

Posted via Mobile

'83's don't have that loop...look for a forked tab on the frame, about in line with the brake pedal.

This is my switch. I think it's part # 29-7002. I'm just going to order it. It should be right.

e45ef9d9.jpg

And here's my frame. I think something was cut...

791d90ec.jpg

Posted via Mobile

This is my switch. I think it's part # 29-7002. I'm just going to order it. It should be right.

e45ef9d9.jpg

And here's my frame. I think something was cut...

791d90ec.jpg

Posted via Mobile

That's a different switch to mine (74)….
The bit that is cut off is a small hoop that has the pillion pegs attached to it.
I think stock pipes also attach to it.
PICT0051.JPG

You can see it just under the green rego sticker

CIMG3246.JPG

Back