no electricity at the points

thunderdork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been debugging the electrical on my 78. i replaced the coils, caps, plugs, boots, wires and points. still nothing. so i went and bought a continuity tester. hook it up with the points and ground it to the neg terminal. turn on the ignition. rotate the rotor a few times. never saw a blink or heard a beep. at this point i'm wondering if its a bad wire somewhere or a bad ignition/kill switch... if that's the case, is there an easy way to jumper the ignition and or kill switch to see? if that's not the case, what should I test next and how?

You should have 12V at the red/white wires going to the coils with the key on. If not check your kill switch. To bypass run a wire directly from the battery positive to the red/white coil wires.

thunderdork, if there is no power getting to the points it may be your safety relay has failed - no problem, just replace three of the four screws at the bushes with 4mm nylon screws, that will prevent the power earthing there is the relay has failed.

Anlaf

I tried the bypass and it worked. and for grins i kept the rotor at the exact point it was tripping my continuity tester and switch the wires back. still worked. so i must have giggled something. anyways, now i'm getting spark but it seems pretty week. have to hold it 6 inches to my face to hear/see it. is that normal on these bikes even with a new ignition coil?

I tried the bypass and it worked. and for grins i kept the rotor at the exact point it was tripping my continuity tester and switch the wires back. still worked. so i must have giggled something. anyways, now i'm getting spark but it seems pretty week. have to hold it 6 inches to my face to hear/see it. is that normal on these bikes even with a new ignition coil?

Its confusing to have 2 or more threads, on the same problem, going at the same time..................try to stick to one only.

I gave you some suggestions in your other thread.

Anlaf, the three screws on the stator brushes have nothing to do with the ignition.
The three nylon screw mod is for when using a regulator designed to work like the 80 regulators.
The safety relay only effects the starter on the earlier models and the headlight one the later models.
The three screw mod has nothing to do with that either.
Do some research.
thunderdork, From the sound of it you found the trouble, A weak connection in the power side of the coils. Clean the connections and on the female side squeeze them a bit so it makes a tight connection. A bit of dielectric grease will help keep them clean.
Leo

Back