No gas going to spark plugs?

leodr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
81special heritage. Gas is good, battery is good. How can I check to get gas to spark plugs?. Gas is coming down from carbs as I checked drains under carbs. Is something stuck in carbs? Jets? It did only once back fired?

? Kick it a couple of times ev with full choke
Take out the plugs look at them
Continue kicking smelling in plug hole ?

You have spark?
On all 80 and up bikes with stock TCI ignition you must ground both spark plugs any time the plugs or wires are removed before cranking. A couple spark plugs with some bare copper wire between works well for this.

Do I take plugs out then trying starting and see if gas is getting to plug hole? I do not thing gas is getting to them since they are dry.
How do I ground spark plugs?
If I open carb drain hole will gas continue coming out or will it stop once floats are at level?

Are you getting spark? If your not getting fuel to the combustion chambers you could have plugged up carbs. But not starting/backfiring does not necessarily mean your not getting fuel to the combustion chambers. It could mean your timing is off, your getting weak spark, or valves need adjustment. What is your actual battery voltage?

Usually crank with plugs in, then remove look, smell to see if they are wet with gas. The drain screw will empty the float bowls. If the vacuum petcocks are working properly gas?flow will stop once bowls are empty if they/ is turned to on or reserve. in prime position gas will rin til tank is empty. A severe overflow condition will have gas going into, dripping out of air filter from carb throat.

Has the bike been running or is this a wake up from storage? A single backfire when turning key off is likely an ignition issue. is bike stock or modified? Some pics of bike, carbs, ignition would help us help you.

My goto is to spray some carb cleaner into the throat of the carb. Kick it. If it fires and runs for a few seconds then your ignition is probably fine and the fuel system needs investigation.

Your bike has a TCI electronic ignition if it still stock. The news there is it works great until it doesn't

Thanks for all the info. I will try to answer what I can.
I did have overflow initially but it has stopped now? Maybe because I drained some fuel from float bowls?
Bike is a 1982 heritage special stock. I have rebuilt the carbs last year and it was running. I got a scr 950 and used this this summer and kept xs650 in storage with trickle charger and am trying to get it going again.
How can I get to throat of carb without taking carbs out?
Could be original electronic ignition problem however it sounds ok, how to check this?
Battery is fully charged and voltage is 14 plus. I have it on trickle charger and battery charger while cracking it. Could that be problem starting it that way?
I think I am over thinking everything.
Firstly, I need to see if my plugs are sparking. How do I check that? Next, I need to see if gas is getting to plugs.appears that I am not. How to do that?
I may have to take carbs out for another time if all else fails???

I have had 2 .. 1980 with BS 34 .. Over 35 year it has never happened fuel not coming trough
And in this case it should have happened on both sides
One side can protest and give a little challenge but Both .. Not likely ... It Can flood in the beginning
I wold be very surprised if no fuel
Unless the tank are in bad shape.

" Gas is coming down from carbs as I checked drains under carbs."

So if focus is starting up the bike I would look at ignition .. There I have had massive problems pretty much every year
last 35 years Admittedly in a " Zero Cost " modus

Firstly, I need to see if my plugs are sparking. How do I check that?

Usually I say usually one takes out the plugs and rest them on the cylinder head and kick watch if it is sparking but wait a while or google.
It must be done correctly or damage can happen someone will come in

To get at a carb throat, you can remove the airbox cover and pull the air filter element out. Then you will be able to see into the carb throat.

To ground a plug, remove it, or better yet, use a spare plug. Stick it in the plug cap and hold it's electrode against the engine fins. Hold the plug by the plug wire and cap. Don't touch any metal part on the plug itself or you'll get zapped. Crank the engine over and watch the spark plug's gap to see if it's sparking. You may need to do this in a dimly lit or semi-dark garage. You may not be able to see the spark that well if you tried this outside in bright sun light.

Plugged orifice in the float bowl on BS34 carbs is very popular.
A rig like this a quite handy
20200113_180531.jpg

doesn't matter too much WHAT spark plugs you use for spark testing, gap em to .030 or so. As long as the bare copper wire is touching the engine, it'll be a great spark tester. I have two, one in the garage, one out in the shed cuz they are that handy.

Last edited:
OK Gary, I understand the one plug and the copper wire, but why two plugs? Do you connect up and ground out both cylinders at the same time?

For the late model dual tower you gotta keep both plugs grounded. When I'm doing wake up drills the motor gets lots of spinning with the plugs out before it goes fire. So grounded but loose plugs make that easy peasy.
With a fairly long piece of bare copper, it's also real easy to just drape the copper - plugs over motor or frame to make the ground.

Last edited:
Really do not understand the testing of plugs? Please give me steps how to do this? Sketch or picture would be helpful with step by step procedure. Tried again and it backfired again? I am convinced that I have a gas blockage somewhere. Plugs are somewhat dry. I crack engine with plugs out and not getting much gas.
I will it looks like take carbs out???

Back