No Rakes

xstwin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
How come all you guys chopping up xs"s don't rake the front end? SOme of these bikes would look so much better,and handle nicer if you got rid of the 27 degree stock rake, hell even a 32 would give the bike nicer lines. Now go ahead and hate on me.

Most of them are just adding a weld-on hardtail kit. It doesn't take a lot of know-how or experience to do that. Cutting the neck and raking it out is a lot more involved. I just bought the steel to gooseneck/rake mine. It's been bugging me for a long time and finally got to me enough that I have to make it right. I got it outside where I could really step back and get a good look at it a few weeks ago.

No hate here. You're absolutely right. 32 to 35 with a 4 inch rear stretch is the best range, although I'll just cut it, rake it until it looks right, check the trail, and weld it up...

Actually, when I added my hardtail, he rake went from the stock, (which I believe was 29 degrees on my 79) to 35 degrees. Thought about going to 40, but then I would have had to get longer fork legs to keep the frame height, and I decided against it. No hate here either.

I kind of agree with everyone.. Lot's of people don't do it because it's harder to do and keep everything straight. I've been staring at mine for a couple of years now with the extended ass end and keep thinking I need to rake it out a little bit to balance the look. The engine looks too far forward with my 4" stretch.

lots of people rake and add a springer. The typical springer is set up using stock HD measurements, so a springer for a stock length XS would be 2 under, and a 2 over will add 4 inches to the stock length.

Here's one of my favorites with a springer from one of the guys at TCU. (damn sporty tank though):D

Attachments

• gallery_8921_417_6541.jpg
    gallery_8921_417_6541.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 346
So would that mean that you would want to get a longer springer if you rake it then correct? Like a 2 over.

I plan to rake mine...I have no idea how much yet, what is the stock rake on an xs650?

nevermind, I see i missed a few posts.

It depends how much you rake it out. If you want to add a little rake and lower the front at the same time, you won't need extended forks. Also, adding rake without changing anything else is going to add trail, so turning will feel heavier and your turning radius will increase.

Here's one of my favorites with a springer from one of the guys at TCU. (damn sporty tank though):D

That's Metalho's scoot. Beautifully done gooseneck and rake is about perfect.

Yeah, stretched/raked out choppers take a little getting used to. Not exactly for threading through the twisties.

Actually, when I added my hardtail, he rake went from the stock, (which I believe was 29 degrees on my 79) to 35 degrees. Thought about going to 40, but then I would have had to get longer fork legs to keep the frame height, and I decided against it. No hate here either.

I thought the rake was related to the frame not the stance after a hardtail ?

Skull, if you hardtail it, the place where the swingarm pivot was is lower than stock, essentially lowering the rear of the bike. If you don't lower the fork tubes an equal amount you've changed the angle of the neck in relation to the ground, thereby giving it more "rake". Although that isn't really accurate; you've really just altered the trail and given the illusion of a raked out neck.

EDIT: Realized I might just be pointing out what you already know...

Last edited:
I did ask a question, i couldn't find my drawings , now i remember seeing 2 lines off the Frame at the neck for the rake. :thumbsup:

Yeah.. rake is measured perpendicular to the ground. So the rake can change by dropping the ass end but you wouldn't normally say the bike or frame has been raked out until you actually modify the frame and neck.

Attachments

• 30%20foot%20rake_NO.jpg
    30%20foot%20rake_NO.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 199
Back