No rear brakes:(

rmclaughlin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys. Just got my first XS, 79 Special. Anyway, I have no rear brake pressure. I added fluid to the front and bled it and it works great. Went on the the rear and tried to bleed it but there is no pressure from the brake pedal. I pumped for a long while and no bubbles or anything. Just a wet sponge. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Start with taking BOTH apart and cleaning everything if it's not been on the road for a while. Brakes are nothing to short change your time on, and old laid-up brakes can do things like, decide to stop working, or decide to lock up on you. The rear is probably full of sludge and sediment, but you won't know til you take it apart.
Mine that "worked fine" looked like this when I opened them up:
DSC00261_zps2301a30a.jpg

it sounds like to me your master cylinder is gunked up and not working.perhaps setting has frozen the piston or the seals are bad and leaking by.if the rear caliper piston was frozen id think you would get a very hard brake pedal.after bleeding of course.

He states it's a 79 Special.
A tear down, clean, inspection is a good idea but it can still be a PITA to get to bleed. The hose from the reservoir to the master cylinder has a high spot. It can be tough getting the fluid over this high spot. You might try unhooking the M/C and reservoir from the bike. Hold them so the hose runs straight down from the reservoir to the M/C. Now while holding them this way pump the M/C with a screwdriver to bleed.
A bit of help on this will come in handy.
Once you get it bled remount the M/C and reservoir. Then bleed it again. This should get it good.
Leo

Back