NO resistance on clutch lever!?!?

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Took off the left side cover on my 77xs to wet sand the cover. Put everything back on with a new motion pro clutch cable. But now I have no pressure on the clutch lever. In the pic is what im guessing goes into the lever that the clutch cable end fits into. Not sure if somethings wrong with it. It seems kind of loose, what is that post supposed to do?, as in spin with the lever inside the side cover, push in? Im lost... Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 183
When you pull the lever, it pulls the cable. The cable pulls on the lever on the worm mechanism. This causes the inner part of the worm to rotate inside to outer part. As it rotates it pushes on that rod which in turn pushes another rod or rods and balls to push the mushroom shaped rod in the clutch pack, which pushes the pressure plate open so the fiber plates can spin separate from the steel plates so you can stop and start, shift gears.
When you removed the cover you may have lost the ball in the worm. The one that pushes on the rod you see in your pic. Leaving this ball out gives you very excessive free play. Look inside the worm you should see it. Clean it out to be sure.
It's a good idea to remove the inner part of the worm to clean, inspect and regrease it.
It's also a good idea to properly lube your cable before installing it. In your repair manual it tells of how to lube the cable with a makeshift funnel and motor oil. This is the best way. The clamp on thing you use with a spray lube is ok but doesn't last as long or work as well.
Once you have all the parts clean, well lubed and reassembled you have to readjust the clutch and cable. The adjustment needs to be checked and adjusted anytime you change any parts or even just pulling the cover.
So you need to adjust the clutch and cable to get the feel back.
Leo

Yea theres a small ball bearing inside the work gear, or lever inside the clutch cover. But like I said, the post in the picture seems really loose, should this post be able to be pulled out easily? And with the motion pro cable, do I need to use the clutch cable guide that fits on top of the side cover? If so Im going to have to cut my new cable up to get it on. Im thinking something with that post might be messed up.

Your new cable is fine just the way it is. It's designed to work just as it is with your stock lever and the lever 650central sells.
If you use a lever off a different bike it may need some adapting. My 75 has the lever off an 82 650 Seca and is a bit long. So I adapted my side cover to accept an adjuster like at the lever. I'll post a pic, This lets me take most of the excess slack out of the cable before I use the lever adjuster.
To adapt the side cover the hole is just the right size to thread to match an adjuster like on the lever. Just thread the cover, then slip an adjuster on the cable and insert the cable in the cover and thread the adjuster in. Oops almost forgot. The big round lock nut on the adjuster is to big to fit flat on the cover, need to put a regular nut on there. You will see that in the pic.
This mod will let you use a good, but stretched cable for a bit longer. That's why I did it at first, to make up for the stretch of an old cable. I wouldn't run the stretched cable very long, just long enough to get a new cable.
Leo

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_105164296.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_105164296.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 145
That pic is of the old stock cable. The new cable sets in much straighter.
Leo

Well if the 650central motion pro cable work with stock lever and stuff. Im good because everything clutch wise is stock except with cable. Im thinking something messed up with the push rod i guess?

Yes, The rod is not hooked to anything, it just gets pushed in by the worm and pushes on the other rods inside.
You need to adjust your clutch and lever because you changed the cable.
Leo

Yes, as I said it works with stock parts or the lever from 650central. On mine I 'm not using a stock lever so I had to make adjustments.
I also mentioned taking the worm out for cleaning, inspection and regreasing. This is a good thing.
There is nothing wrong with your push rod. You can spin it around as well as pull it right out.
Your lack of resistance is because you have not adjusted the clutch and cable since you installed the new cable.
Leo

how about a pic of the cable going into the side cover
outside pic
after rereading your above posts
I think you may have ordered the wrong cable
you should have the guide where it goes into the side cover if your old cable had one

wrong cable. should be the same. something must have f ed up in shipping/pulling parts from shelf.

It could be that or that may be one of 3M's "Easy Pull" cables. They're made special without the elbow on the bottom. Supposed to pull easier that way.

If you got it from 650central it is one of the easy pull cables. MMM gets Motion Pro build them to his specs. I got two awhile back. One is still in the plastic it came in. It says Motion Pro on the plastic.
As I said before, install it and make the proper adjustments to the clutch and cable. Anytime you have the cover off or make any changes you need to adjust the clutch and cable.
Leo

Back