No spark, left side.

avenue

push.
Reaction score
Hello,
After many months of tearing down, building, rebuilding, and assembly, I finally kicked over my project for the first time early this week.

After many kicks, the bike finally started but only on the right cylinder.

I have power to the coils, both coils check out just fine, I've swapped coils, plug wires, plugs, but still can't get a spark on the left side. I'm getting fuel to both carbs (freshly rebuilt 34s) and I also triple checked to make sure the pamco277 rotor was in the right position.

still, no spark on the left cylinder...

any thoughts?

277 rephase, pamco with green monster coils, kick only, capacitor, rebuilt 34s with 1upsize on pilots and mains. pandemonium ya-mama pipes.

thanks,
avenue.

1hr update...

I've now switched the power and pickups from the pamco to each coil and their respective plugs.

still, no fire on the left cylinder. and, the right plug already looks black and slightly wet. left plug still looks out of the box new.

I'm now wondering about fuel delivery.

any input is welcomed and appreciated.

avenue.

Are you SURE you have no spark?

Have you done this:

SDC11612-L.jpg

I had a helluva time, but I traded spark plugs when I found that the plug was not sparking..... and it fired up!!

.......or just swap plugs and see if the problem swaps to the other side.....

yup, I've swapped everything over to the right side..plugs, coil, coil power supply, coil pickup wire, plug wire. (*all one at a time)

I'm still only firing on the right side.

avenue

Last edited:
The coil fires both sides at the same time, every time..... try: swap the right wire over to the left plug? Replace both plugs.... sounds like you have a one-side: bad plug, or bad wire, or bad cap, or something... try that picture above, a very VISUAL indication of whether there is a spark.... if there IS spark, then go into your carburetion.

Sometimes we analyze ourselves into a box, and the problem is something else.....

:wtf:

I swapped the coils and their pickups b/c of the rephase. But, even with switching everything over to the other side, I'm still only firing on the right...same as before. because of this, I'm now leaning towards a left carb. issue. yeah?

thanks for the input,
avenue.

Take both spark plugs out ground both of them against the head, have the wife kick it over while you hold onto both plugs with your hands.

That will be a good indication if the plugs are firing or not.

After that I would look into towards fuel issues if you shock both of your hands.

yes, I've tested for spark on both plugs, although not at the same time, and I'm not getting a spark on the left cylinder. at least, I can't seem to see it if it is, in fact, sparking (working outside in the driveway sunlight). weak spark?

However, I wonder about fuel delivery because I swapped everything spark related from the running right cylinder over to the left cylinder (and visa versa) and still only fired off the right side.

I'll look into fuel issues tomorrow but more input is appreciated.

thanks,
avenue.

Okay, forgive me if this has been answered because I only skimmed the thread.. But, when you swapped coils, did you check for spark on the good side with the coil from the bad side? Or did you only check the bad side with the known good coil?

Avenue,

You mentioned in your first post that you have a capacitor, so I assume that you have a PMA setup? If so I will offer my standard advice for that situation. Temporally wire the PAMCO's to a separate battery that is not connected to the bikes electrical system. If it fires up then, you have a problem with the PMA setup.

^pamco, thanks for the input. the bike will fire up...and run...but only on the right cylinder.

to clarify, I've tested everything from the non-firing left cylinder on the right cylinder with success. plugs, wires, coils, power supplies, all ran fine (a bit rough, though) when swapped to the right cylinder.

I cannot visibly see a spark on the left side, however, when ground testing against the jugs and the right side looks a bit weak.

I'll put a battery on and run through the tests, again.

thanks,
avenue.

update and problem found:

one of the timing plate screw washers was touching part of the left cylinder pickup on the pamco unit. I removed the washer and she fired up, first kick, on both cylinders.

thanks,
avenue.

Are you SURE you have no spark?

Have you done this:

SDC11612-L.jpg

I had a helluva time, but I traded spark plugs when I found that the plug was not sparking..... and it fired up!!

.......or just swap plugs and see if the problem swaps to the other side.....

Hey, bpeckm.

Where does get one of those spark indicators (name?) that you shared an image of?

Thanks. :)

iirc I got mine through Amazon... cheap, fast, and a very useful tool. You will have to modify the end that goes into the plug cap, since the tool is designed for the fat/screw-on type of spark plug. I simply filed mine down to where it would snap into the tool.

Good luck!!:thumbsup:

Back