No spark

I don't but, first you need to determine if that's the problem and which tci box you need. I believe it's either 6 pin or 7 pin.

Hey everyone, new to this forum. I got an 1980 xs650 and im gettin no spark. Has brand new coil

Here is a good starting point for troubleshooting your no spark condition:
http://www.650central.com/if_your_xs650_with_standard_yama.htm

Also, do a search at this forum for "no spark" and you will get many threads with much helpful info.

I recently bought a '77 with a no spark condition. My solution was a painstaking thorough cleaning of every electrical contact. Set the points to the right gap. VOila ! got spark 2 days later.

Ok i got it to get a spark and to turn over for a sec. My starter motor sounds like its struggling( note that my battery is dead so im going directly from jumper cables). Does anyone know what this means

Not sure if you should be using jumper cables here....I would do a search on that. The starter motor sometimes just needs removed and contacts cleaned, there's a start anyway.

your battery is dead. Dont have the jump car running. u can kick it. u can also push it down a hill and pop start it in second gear.

It fired up. I have the gas tank on it right now, might be some gas in the bowls but for the most part its firing on starting fluid. Gona pull the carbs right now. Thanks for all the input

Ok i got it to get a spark and to turn over for a sec. My starter motor sounds like its struggling( note that my battery is dead so im going directly from jumper cables). Does anyone know what this means

Hi Thrashed,
your bike's electrics won't know if it's got it's own battery or if it's being jumped but it MUST have a good 12V battery or it won't run.
FWIW, my sidecar rig carries a big ol' car battery behind the sidecar's seat, of at least 10X the CCA of the bike's stock battery and my starter don't struggle, not at all.
In your case, perhaps the starter needs work, or it's solenoid needs work, or your booster battery is a tad low, or any combo thereof.

If he was smart he followed the link provided and did a thorough wake up drill, checking every needed component for correct operation. If he was impatient he just randomly kept trying to make it run, which it finally did, long enough to get him a good long push from home.

Back