Noise, timing etc

Fossi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night I finaly got the engine back together and started her up. Some small complications, but what can I expect beeing a noob and all. Started on third kick, first kick the rest of the night. Runs well, pulls hard all the way. Big difference from last year. The only thing I noticed is a ticking noise. It clicks/ticks more than a VW Beetle. I adjusted the cam chain and the valve arms. So whats next? Buy a timing light? Tear her down again? I have the Boyer & Brandsen ignition system.

ticking is very normal for these engines. But in all honesty the only way to tell you if it's normal is if you post a video.

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna do a video, but I didn't have the time yesterday. It will have to wait untill I come home from work. I took the bike to a Yamaha dealer and he said the same as you. Some noie is expected from these engines.

If you didn't adjust the cam chain tension while the bike is idling, try that. It's very easy to set it wrong (too loose) by the book method. Then it will tick more than normal. Doing it while the bike idles allows you to loosen the adjuster way up until the chain starts making noise, then tighten it back down until the ticking goes away (but the plunger still moves a little). I think it's the easiest and most accurate way to set the chain tension.

I set the chain without the engine running. But I checked it at idle afterwards. The adjuster is supposed to move a little each way right? I will double check it.
I set the valves at 0.005 and 0.015. It made some noise last season as well, but I fell that it's worse now.But the compression is much higher now and the engine runs a lot smoother through the revs. It could be that the valves are just worn and are shaking about because of the higher comp?

Play with the chain setting while the bike idles, don't just look at at. That's the only way you'll be able to tell if a change will help.

0.005 and 0.015? What are those? Inches or MM? They appear wrong either way. Inches would be .003" intake and .006" exhaust. Metric values are 0.15mm exhaust and 0.06mm intake.

I see that my last post was a bit useless. I set the clearance at 0.05mm and 0.15mm as according to my manual. That said, I didn't check the manual I just "remembered" it beeing so fromlast season. Hell if I know. The engine is a series D. The more I think about it the more I realise that it's probably the cam chain tensioner that's to loose. I will play around with it when I get the chance. Just have to finnish this job and get back to shore. Thanks for the tips. I'll try to post a film on how it sounds. And hopefully a film on some of the best motorcycle roads I know about.

Back