NOOB help me!! - Clutch pedal loose, slipped clutch, 81 xs650 special

So just an update, checked the spark plugs, they were dirty, I had flooded it, had to change the oil, it smelled of gas, put in iridium plugs and it fired right up. I'm still having issues with the gears disengaging with the clutch lever, I had the right side off again the clutch only moved out maybe at best 3mm, sometimes the clutch would release and sometimes if felt like it still was gripping. So I'm riding it a bit apprehensively on short trips to see if the plates will free up. Apart from getting a new clutch cable, which I don't see as the fix as when I adjust the handle bar adjustment bolt it just makes the clutch area of engagement go from the middle of the squeeze to way close to the grip. I may just check the plates for tolerance/clearance, and swap out the new friction plates that I have on backup.

Hi wrongnumber. How you coming along with the clutch? I am in Port Coquitlam and have an 80 SG and a 72 X2. This forum is fantastic. You'll solve any problems ur XS may give you with this site.

I am having minor slipping with my 80SG when hot and going up hills. She may just need clutch springs.

Let me know if you need a hand with your XS.

John
Port Coquitlam.

Posted via Mobile

Hi John, I agree this site is fantastic for help, clutch is still a bit sticky, I'm wanting to open her up again to check tolerances, I just realized one of my gear shift cam pins was lost too, I cant get past third, looking for just the dowel pin to replace is fun. I'd love to talk bikes and tinker on them with you, being as we're practically neighbours
Gimme a shout if you want get together and get out there.
Ryan

A quick update, even though I didn't suspect the clutch cable, I was wrong, on a whim I ordered a new motion pro cable and compared it to the other before install.
At first I thought I accidently ordered the wrong one, even though the cable itself was longer, the part exposed from the jacket sheath was shorter.

Well put it on anyways and lo and behold my clutch works no problem, the old one stretched out past the tolerance for engaging the clutch fully. So chalk up my "clutch" problem fixed.

Back