Noob vs. Mikuni VM carbs: Questions

The scenario with float valves isn't that they may not be passing fuel, but that they may not be regulating fuel flow, thus causing a rich condition, and fixing the petcocks will not correct that. Trouble can be caused by debris blocking the valves open, poor machining of seats, wear, or low float level setting (=high fuel level). To check if the pods are causing the mixture problem (on VM's they shouldn't, but that they'll pass enough crap to cause premature wear to rings and cylinders), try removing them. The pipes and pods should not be causing a rich condition.

Combustion is a tripod, and its three legs are ignition, compression, and fuel. You won't fix either of the first two through the carbies.

You asked for advice, so I'll give it. Stop looking for the magic bullet. Troubleshoot everything methodically, one step at a time. You've been skipping steps, playing "Yes, but...," and fishing for shortcuts. There aren't any.

I don't know that there is anything in the carbs only because they are brand new. I can only ride this bike about 5 miles before it quits on me. The carbs were brand new when I go it plus I've flushed out the fuel and taken them apart a few times but maybe they require further inspection. There could be a problem with the float level. I'm unsure what that piece is that pushes the needle up that regulates how much fuel fills the bowl but that piece is straight as an arrow.

I went out this morning and bought a new compression tester. The one I bought from Harbor Freight wasn't working correctly/at all. The new one registered 150 on both cylinders so that can be ruled out I guess. My cam chain appears to be right where it should be. I adjusted the valves and I'll redo them again in the next day or two when I get a sec. The engine has a TCI so not sure but I have read there is no adjustment to be made there?

Any advice is good advice and I appreciate all of it. I just have my eyes set on a happy ending. At first I was skipping adjustments that I didn't know how to do but one by one I've done them all. I feel like I'm close. Next is to try the new pilots I'm going to order today. I could opt for the stock carbs but I've invested so much time in these carbs that I dont want to let them get the best of me!

There's more to ignition inspection than spark timing. There's plenty of information out there, and I'm not going to repeat it.

You claim you read the VM section of the Carb Guide, but your long-term memory seems not to be working. Float level inspection is not performed by eyeballing the tang on the float valve actuator.

So your carbs are too new to possibly have crap in the float valves? Whatever you say, it's your bike. I'm done here; you've played "Yes, but" with me exactly one time too many.

I read the jetting portion. I didn't say you were wrong. I took those apart and dind't see any debris, no need to get upset. Sorry if I don't know the name of every part in the carb. This is the first set of carbs I've owned.

Back