Not what I expected (cam chain guide)

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I expected my cam chain guides to be totaled as I started to get little bits of metal and black rubber in my post-pump oil filter... but they don't look that bad. I think they look a little worse in these pics than they actually are.

Ideas? Is there any other black rubber in the motor?

Attachments

• Guides1.jpg
    Guides1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 106
  • Guides2.jpg
    Guides2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
You shouldn't be seeing any "bits" in the side cover filter have you repaired or replaced the sump filter yet? Chunks in the second filter mean the first one isn't working. I would expect what I see in your guide pics to create visible FOD on the first good filter.

Last edited:
Ha! I found the bits in my front filter when I was draining the oil to repair the sump filter, just cause I knew it had to be blown out.

In other words, my sump filter is now repaired; those were found minutes before I repaired it.

oh typo create FOD = Aviation acronym for Foreign Object Debris or Damage, stuff that goes where it shouldn't

Does your starter grind? There's also a hard rubber ring attached to the #4 starter gear that can start to break down into little chunks. Is the rubber strip on the front guide firmly attached for the entire length? Usually the glue gives way and the rubber strip comes loose or even falls right off. Maybe the early versions used a better glue? Your rear tensioner is an early type. I'm not sure who (if anyone) sells replacements for those.

You can see the tiny little chunk that's missing from the tensioner. That's the only part that I would consider bad. And that's really nothing. Everything else seems totally secure.

I just pulled my starter off b/c it wasn't working. I assumed the motor was dead (wasn't turning). Maybe it's something with the gears. I'll test the starter tonight. If it is from the starter gears, and I've eliminated the starter, can I leave it without worry? Or do I really have to split the cases and take care of that?

That #4 starter gear is under the right engine side cover, near the clutch. You don't have to split the cases to get at it but you do need to remove the clutch. If you don't run the starter then that gear won't get used anymore so you could probably just leave it in there.

Back