Nuetral safty swich

LucasCustom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a brand new member Joined a few minutes ago~I have 8 of these XS650 Yamahas My dayly driver is a '77 Not sure how to add a picture of it?? But I have my Heritage Special running yesterday for the first time~I love it~It rides so nice~But I had some problems when puting it into 1st~It would kill the engine~When the bike warmed up yesterday the light would stay on and I dove it all over town to get the feel of it as it is alot differnt then my driver('77) Now this morning I was starting it and going to put it out front of my house for sale~Now it kills the motor even warmed up when I try to click it into 1st~I have looked for both my shop manuals and wouldn't you know it they are no ware when you need 'em?? I would like a quick fix as I have alot of spare parts here on hand I just need to know where to look what to change out exc??Thank you for any info Sincerely Rob Lucas

LucasCustom;

Welcome to the site. Wow, with 8 of these you are really addicted.

If the Heritage Special is an 82 or 83, they have too many interlocks.
Your problem lies with the Sidestand Interlock. The sidestand switch because it is low, its gets real dirty and stops working. The interlock requires you to be in neutral or have the sidestand in the up position................otherwise it kills the TCI (ignition).

You can simply unplug the sidestand relay (red/white, blue/yellow, black/white, black wires)...............problem gone. You could repair the sidestand switch.

Thank you so much XS650 Junkie~That makes perfct sence as I took that side stand interlock bolts out yesterday to replace the starter and inspect the reduction gears as the starter was staying ingaged and melted the wiring harnes thats how I bout the bike was a complete backet case~I got the wiring harness from eBay and put it all together last fall then put the bike up because when I started it for a second it heated up my new harness so last week I came to the conclusion that I will need to install a new starter~It ran so nice yesterday~So thank you so much I'll go unplug it now and take it for a drive~It's 70 degrees right now and would make it a perfect night~I loaded several pix of my XS650 collection~You might like to see??Have a great Saturday eveing Sincerly Rob Lucas

Thank you so much IT WORKED!!! I twisted the 2 wires together while on my cell phone even and took it for a ride while my buddy talked my ear off hehehehe But I went for a nice cruze this thing drives so nice compared to my '77 that I should keep it ~I love it that much~In my pix my '77 is the wild Tye-Dyed one w/solo seat and Pillion pad~I did put LED turn signals on that one and they light up but don't flash at all like they are supost to do and no one can tell I'm wanting to make a turn is there a differnt flasher element I should find??Thank you so much again So glad I joined this group you have been great :)) Sincerely Rob lucas

with a name like Lucas you really shouldn't be playing around with electrical componets :laugh: but what you need with LED blinkers is a electronic flasher about 12 bucks should cure the problem

Attachments

• lucassmoke.PNG
    lucassmoke.PNG
    248.4 KB · Views: 98
Hi Jayel~It's been a ball with a last name like Lucas :)) It was realy somthing when I was building the Triumph choppers though the 80s~Trying to delete all the wonderful Lucas electrics problems using the Mighty Max Battery eliminator~It also removed the zener diode and the rectifyer as well~Even with everything falty removed you still couldn't drive anything British (my MGs included) in the rain or a foggy damp morning~When my name gets mentioned I usualy get~ Oh "The Prince Of Darkness" More so In Triumph or MG circles~ and thats always good for a laugh as I have a great sence of humor :))
Can you tell me a little buit more about this electronic flasher unit?? Where to find my stock flasher on my '77 to wire it in~Thanks again Guys for all your help today~I just took both of those bikes out for a ride~But putting them back in my shop I got to close to my door frame and riped oupen my leather bomber jacket uuugggg~So I've been having one of those days :(( Sincerely Rob Lucas

Lucas I also worked with British cars and my 63' BSA. I found that main problem comes from the bullet connectors. I build my own harness and do away with these connectors. Good luck. Tony C

Yeah Tony their a bugger~I have only one MGB left now(I've owned 5 and sold my restoered purple '69 last July)This rust free car I bought 3yrs ago to make into the movie car from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" The 61 Ferrari GT250 California The movie car was a fiberglass body knock off from an MGB starting point~Then they used the '86 Chassis and drive terrain from Mustangs~5.0 and automatic transmitions~Way off in my mind ~It will feel like a cheep plastic car because it is~Plus the engine will sound not only American but definatly Ford~And I have alot of Fords myself~But I wanted the real steel car~Then I used a Fiat Spyder for it's duel overhead cam engine red leather Itailian Interoir and its wiriong and the 5 speed stick~Now thats as close to the real High dollar car as I can get on a budget~I did get to buy 1 Borrani rim from the '61 Ferrari~It was so high that I will have it in the trunk as a spare but I had Dayton custom make me a set of chrome reversed Borrani style wheels 15x8 and 14x6 in the front~I chopped 4inches out of the front of the frame then lowering blocks on the rear to get it down low where it has to be~I have put it on hold although I have bought all the rare 61 Ferrari everything else off eBay and they were still high~But I have it in my other bay~And the 8 XS650s in my paintbooth bay that I have collected~I have been working on a wild 70s chopper all moring I've welded the sportster tank on the frame molded it in thith sheet metal and just welded the rear fender in place so I can move on to the sissy bar I am using 20 feet of 1/2inch square stock to go with my twisted steel 14 over springer from '67 and my twisterd handel bars~It is looking out of this world~I paint all my Fords '72 Meverick Grabber~'73 Ranchero w/topper~My '75 Ford Elite~All like the wild 70s dragsters and alot of the 70s coversion vans of the day~Thats my feaverite style of paintwork as that covers an array of wild styles/patters exc and also were so colorful in my childhood so the bikes and the cars and vans left a lasting impression I will go load pix of my cars if I can??Have a great Day Tony nice to meet you~Hope to hear alot more from you in the future as I have been here just 2 days or so and all have treated me very good~Oh and my name being Rob Lucas is kinda ironic with the Ferrari build as I am robbing the British car to make an Italian classic~It just fits that Someone with my name would try somthing unthought of till now~Sincerely Rob Lucas

any good auto supply should have a electronic flasher, the flasher is located up by the horn

Attachments

• cable routing left side.PNG
    cable routing left side.PNG
    100.6 KB · Views: 61
  • cable routing right side.PNG
    cable routing right side.PNG
    85.1 KB · Views: 54
Alot of sheetmetal work molding in my sportster tank into the frame the last 2 days straight~on my chopper XS650 build~I'm exhausted~I took several pix of it in mock up to show my progress~I'll go load a few pix~I want to shoot rootbeer candy blending into cream shade of off white~Highlighting the bodylines~But thinking mabe candy brandy wine on the rest with big flake behind that~I would like to see some airbrush work as well~But haven't had anything pop into my head somthing will as I aproch paint day :))

I had a potentail buyer for this heritage special test drive it just now and he took it down the road and when it warmed up it kept dying~It did the same thing last night when I drove it to put it away for the night~It will run for 1 second and like somone hit the kill switch it shuts off~It's not a gas problem it is like another safty switch~I have to side stand switch bypased and then I took out the nuetral balb so it dosn't stay lit~Then it ran fin sence then~Now with thins problem I will be hard pressed to find a buyer~Any info on what could couse this to not want to run once it gets warmed up???? Thanks in advance~Sincerely Rob lucas

Electrical failure such as that can be due to the old original fuse panel. If the bike still has the 4 position fuse panel, they are worn out and can cause lots of grief.

The clips get weak and resistance increases, causing voltage drops.................I have even felt them heat up. You need to replace with automotive blade type fuse holders. Solder them in line and use heat shrink insulation.

Faulty kill switch or ignition switch could also cause your problem. You could try jumpering around those to eliminate that possibility.

I will look at the fuses~I replaced the entire wiring harnes last Sept~W/one from eBay that had the fuse box deleted and in line fuses put in their place~I will check all of them to see if there is one that uts out using my testor light~Thank you so much for a good direction to start with Retiredgentleman~Sincerely Rob Lucas

All checked out still lit on my test light when the bike stoped each time~I have one more to check and thats the keyed ingnition switch~I'm thinking more expensive like the coil :O or worse yet the CDI ~I will keep plugging away at it because no one will buy a bike that acts like this~I knew better than to put it out front this moring :(

It dose :) I just changed out the keyed ignition switch~It still did it~Then I went after the coil~Changed it out going though boxes of parts~It ran longer but it is cooling down too~I will try the "Ignition unit" I will not remove it I will simply plug in one from~~ you guessed it another big parts box~Eliminating everything one bu one till it stayes running~This is a tuorist town and everyone comes here only for the weekends~So I'm missing out on alot of trafic without it out front~But what can you do??

I'm down to the ingition unit box or the recifier~I took them both off a spare '81 frame~It has to be one or the other~I took a new spark plug and put it against the head with the left side spark plug wire and sure enough~It runs till the spark stoped~It is an eleactrical problem~I rooled out gas as my Ex wife said "thats a gas filter thats pluged" hahaha she was just trying to help

I tryed the rectifyer~It6 still ran for a second then shut off~I have several CDI boxes here I was going to try but all have the 6 spade connectors~This '82 heritage has 8 spade conectors ~I guess I will heve to buy one?? If a CDI is bad will the bike act like this or will it just not start??

I looked on eBay for a 7 pole CDI~There is some on there for 82-83 but the big bucks~I was able to get one for a good price~I eliminated everything else first as I know how hard it is to get at + the cost~But I'm sure thats what was going out then stopped working all together~The bike will only run for a second now~When I get it in I will post the results that way if anyone runs into somthing like this in the future we can all learn from this little trial and error~Thnk you so much retiredgentelman for all your help with my questions~Sincerely Rob lucas

Back