Nuetral safty swich

I am starting into my wiring on my chopper build~It's an '81 XS650 ~I have the wiring for choppers and bobbers for both the pionts (earler bikes) end the electronic diagram for this bike~I don't know what it is calling a "Pick up" It has 3 wires and the diagram even has dotted lines on the diagram for it as well~Can anyone tell me what this unit looks like??Is it the small black box w/a plug very similar to the headlight light plug??Thank you in advance Sincerely Rob lucas

The TCI pickups are a black oval unit mounted on the stator. Like in this pic.

Attachments

• 80 up stator.jpg
    80 up stator.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 51
I haven't got the CDI for my Heritage Specail yet in the mail so I moved on to my '81 XS650 chopper build~I've been doing the wiring all morning following a diagram for electronic ignition yr choppers((This was a perfect running bike stock)) It was pretty easy and straight forward~But testing it out the selanoid is not trying the starter~So I tryed the kick starter to see if there is any spark~And there isn't any~I testedt all the wires with the ignition switch on and off~Current checked out great in and out of the switch so I'm a little lost on what the problem might be on this bike???? Dose anyone have a color chopper diagram for electronic ignition??I was using a black and white one but cfossrefrencing everything from the shop manual to find wire colors was a big task within it's self~Plus the fact that it dosen't work leads me to think there might be a color one floating around~Thanks in advance for any info Sincerely Rob Lucas

I jumped across the selinoid and it had HOT spark~It must be a bad selinoid~I should be able to kick start it or even jump across the selinoid for now~Just to drive it and find all the bugs These things always have on their maden voyage :))

It started right away~First kick it starts right up~I was dying to take it for a ride but it idoles high~If I try to take it off choke it dyes~If I give it any throttle at all it kills it as well~I thought I had the carbs done last Sept when I went though this bike with a fine tooth comb then~But Carbs will have to come off once again~I will redo both sets of jets but what about the choke??Any info on what these 2 problems might be would be greatly apreciated~Thank Sincerely Rob lucas

When you get the carbs off, pay attention to the pilot circuit...............pilot jet, mixture screw passage way, 4 holes that feed into the carb throat. Spray carb cleaner and compressed air.

I hate to tell you this but you will never find a CDI for your Heritage, A TCI yes, A CDI no.
On your 81 chopper it sounds like low battery voltage. My 81 runs fine as long as the battery is above about 12.5 volts. Any lower and it acts just like yours. Check you charging system.
I like this diagram. It shows just about every option using stock parts without all the extra crap the factory loaded on.
Leo

I JUST DROVE IT!!! It was a blast~Even though I drove it just around the grain bins here at my house~The semi drivers were smiling and seemed to love it~Kids came out and stood in their yards to see it~I had to drive it on full choke as it tryes to die still~I worked with it some when I stopped back at my house~Finaly I was able to put it on half chock notch and the right side ran smoothly but sounded like the right side was not firing~I worked with it some more and went all the way off choke without it dying but it did not seem like it realy wanted to stay running~I drove it for 10 minutes I would have thought it would be hot enough to take off chock~My daily driver is a '77 and chock has to come off within a minute of starting or it will die with it on~So I cannot imagine what might be acting up on these carbs?? I cleaned them out spotless and I found that one of the pilot jets were plugged~I had them cleaned completly when I put the carbs away last Sept~Then I shot carb cleaner into every port hole then used compessed air to blow everything out super clean~There is one long port on both that when I used the air to blow in it would operate the slide~So the diaframes are in great shape if that were to be a test on those ~Thank you so much Retiredgentleman your suggestions worked very good as I was able to drive it~Wheather it is roadworthy?? I have alot of bugs to work out yet But I wanted a chance to come in and write to you Sincerely Rob Lucas

Good morning XSLeo~I haven't checked the voltage output from the battery~I just oped the box up containing the new battery yesterday~I followed the instructions filling it then charging it on 2 amp for an hour and a half~Then I let it vent another 2 hrs before putting on the plastic caps~I would think the battery is as strong as it is made to be~I just took it for another small cruze as the semi drivers are trying to get grain to the barge on the Illionis river~They done want to be botherd with me driving around slowly and holding up progress for them~But it is not safe enough to go out and drive it on the roads yet~I found my headlight had turned 90 degrees to the right~I thought this would have been impossible seince I used red locktight on its pivit bolt~I retighteds it~I better get one with longer threads then try again~My rear brake on the forward controles just flops back to my ancle~There are at least 15 things to refine before I will drive it on the road~My turning radious is terrible and I need to get used to that as well~But it is fun to attract that much attention with this bike so far~I want to weld the top tripple tree in place too~My top bolt is not tightedd down because I cannot get any socket on it between the risers~I just wanted it to run and drive~To get my spirits up~I had been depressed that so many things are not going right on any of these bikes~But my driver is running strong as ever~I wouldn't switch over my insurance to this chopper till it is all up to snuff :))

I have been operating on the choke on the left side carb(These are the kind that have the pullout knob) I cannot get the choke to act right on the left cylinder~The right side drags the left~I hacve even went as far as romoving the brass choke plunger alltogether and it runs the same~I took the left side another set of carbs apart to see whats what in those ports and I see that the main big port is bored into the diaphram area~This bike starts easily on one kick~I can run engine with the right side choke off and the left side choke pulled out all the way by hand~But once I let the plunger in even a little it backfires constantly till I pull it back out~I mioved it in and out rappidly to mabe blow out anything that might be plugging it up???? That didn't work~I'm almost wodering if the diaphram has anything to do with this problem??I'm running out of ideas

Thank you so much Leo~I read it and thought Aha Ha Thats the problem with the left carb~The long brass choke tube that gose down into the bowl~I removed the left bowl while the carbs are still on the bike~I pushed my torch tip cleaner in as far as it would go~and then sprayed PR3 to brake up anything stuck in there~By using the red plastic hose it fit right in~The spray took a while to come shooting out so it had to be cloged~Then I shot the compressed air though this port and just knew that would have been the problem~Buttened averything back up~It suprized me there was no change in engine performance~I'm strongly considering removing the spring from the left carb choke plunger~Keep it pulled out permantly~And leave the choke rod in place soley to operate the left side carb~I realy don't know what else to do at this point ~Thank you so much Leo for everything Sincerely Rob lucas

Read the carb guide again, I think you missed something or it's not the carbs. You might want to go over the basics, cam chain tension, valves. This is an 81 so the timing should be ok but check to be sure.
Once you get the mechanical and electrical right, then the carbs are all thats left.
If you read the carb guide and follow all the steps on cleaning it might run better.
The carb guide also explains carb tuning. Syncing the carbs is very important. Done on the bench then again on the bike. Float level has to be right.
With it being a chopper it probably won't have a stock exhaust or air cleaner. Without the stock parts the carbs are going to need tuning.
A good air filter, not a to small cheap pos, but a quality, large enough properly shaped air cleaner, and a good exhaust with a 1.5 inch headpipe with decent mufflers will help ease the tuning issues. This exhaust will perform much better than just the stock headpipes left open.
Leo

I was just reviewing this thread and it looks like the diagram I meant to post didn't show up. So I'll try again.
Darn, I can't till I get the other computer back online.
If you have a good diagram, use it to be sure the charging system is right.
Leo

have you considered swapping your carbs from your 77 to your chopper? as long as you transfer over the rubber carb mounts, they swap right over.
also, make sure your carb holder barbs are blocked off, or if you have vacuum operated petcocks, the vacuum lines arent giving you a air leak. also, once your engine is hot, tighten down the carb holders tighter.
here are a few good suppliers of xs parts.
www.650central.com
www.mikesxs.com
also, lots of info at
www.xs650temp.proboards.com
welcome aboard

Thank you so much Leo~It runs exelent on full choke~Reves out great throttle response~My fear is it will be running to rich~It runs fine fukll choke hot~It never has the sound or feel like it wants to come off choke~That scares me~I would love to push in the choke
On a differnt note I took my driver 77 XS650 a block away to up town Utica ~Huge Harly & biker tourest town on the weekends~Harleys line both sides of the main street like Sturges~I took my Ex my phone charger though the back ally~Bikes everyware~Saying stuff~I heard laughing while he said "Wheelie it" ~I got home and decided to take my chopper right down main st~I know bad move right??~It dosn't run and handel good enough to even be on the road~The old "If I do it I get a woopin" "I dood it" haha So I started her up and warmed it up by driving it around my black in the other direction~I got it to in front of my house and thought it's now or never~I turned and went for it~It's legal to drive it has been for the last 2 months before the frame was made~I rise up over the I&M canal bridge~It is so loud~I cracked the throttle a few times before I even got close to get everyones attention~It worked all eyes are on me~So many started to yell stuff~I rapped the throttle a few more times with the clutch in~I could hear a chick yelling somthing over all the rest~I went to click my forward controles into first gear for the stop sighn~The left side gave way under my foot hahahaha~I came to a full stop~I only hoped it went into first before the pedal gave way~I thought I will soon find out~I reved her up in case I was still in second gear~I faked like my foot waight was on the left pedal but knew if I touched it it would fall off to the front of the bike and snag on somthing??So I made it to the ally on the other side where there was no one there~Now my pedal did fall off I could not get my bike in nutral~My buddy pulled up behind me in his car~We could both hear the harleys taking off flooring their bikes stired up like a bunch of hornets~So much so that a cop stayed parked in front of my house so they would get cought reving up and fling to the south~My buddy opend his trunk and handed me a 10mm whench~I removed the now dead shifter~He gave me a pair of vise grips for a shifter to get it into nutrel to get the bike started~It ran badly as the duckt tape was not holding the choke knob out far enough~He took out another needel nose vise grips to keep the knob out all the way~I was set~But with my hand holding the clutch in I had to have my budy shift it into first for me~Both laughing as I had to drive by the bikes without the benifit of any other gear & a left foot rest~So I was off~Waited for trafic then pulled out tward my house~As I went over the small bridge I saw the cop right there~I rested my left foot on the stator cover and signaled my turn w/my right hand pointing out my right turn comming up~I made it~Then took my 77 to return the 2 vise grips back to my buddy who had by now come out of the store~He has no lisecnec so I told him of the cop waiting out front of my house~My heart is still racing~Love to weld the shifter back on and try again~As no one knew anything broke~Now that was fun~I'm 6' 2" 255lbs~But fun loving never rude~I would love to hear if you guys have any stories like this~They seemed to hate my 77 but loved the chopper~They are the same bike~Just differnt shape>>???Thank you so much again Leo & Angus for all your healp I will read though everything very closely Sincerely Rob lucas

I found the problem with the choke~I kept cleaning the carbs every port possible~It stayed the same~Then I e-mailed a buddy who told me to drill out the tops of my 4 suzuki carbs about 3 yrs ago~I started to wonder could this have somthing to do with what he was talking about~So I wrote to him~

"He said if I changed anything??? Pod aircleaners~Or straight pipes your engine wants more fuel~Drill the primary screw covers carfuly~When the drill bit breaks though pull back~If that dosnt remove the brass caps then use an awl to pry them out but being very carful about the screw underneith~Then when you get them out turn the screws 1/2 turn till you can take it off of choke"

The bike runs GREAT If anyone runs into this problem having to run full choke~Because they went to pod air filters or went to straight pipes~Then they must get to their primary screws to adjust those to get the bike to run~Thank you so much guys for all your help all the way though my bike problemes you have been wonderful Sincerely Rob lucas

I instaled the new CDI and it did the same thing~I thinking it is a voltage problem~The battery gets down below the 13volts and it starts but dies~My 82 HS dose it and my 81 chopper started yesterday~I had to push it home 2 miles~'81 has a brand new battery I will have to check its brushes on it's alternator~Checked and cleaned the brushes yesterday on the 82 heritage special~But it has a very old battery~ that had been left out all winter to make matters worse for that bike~So I have that one on the charger now~So it will run shortly as I have changed everything electrical on it now including it's complete harness~Thank you so much guys or I would not have known lower than 13 volts could cause it to start but only for half a second~Sincerely Rob lucas

Back