Nut and bolt / Rear Drum to Bracket

Lance Weersma

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good afternoon Gents!

I have been working on this 72' and you all have been very helpful. When the bike was given to me the rear drum was missing the bolt that connects it to the bracket that stops the drum from moving. Hope that makes since. It looks like it would be a large nut and bolt but not very long. Can anyone give me any insight on what to replace it with or where to find the appropriate hardware ?

Thanks

Is it safe to put an ordinary nut and bolt in there?

Hi Lance,
WER's "no" is true if all you use is a nut and bolt.
Yamaha's fancy bolt does up tight but still allows the joint between the brake plate and torque arm to swivel which it has to do to let you adjust the chain tension.
You could cobble up an Allen screw, flat washer, spacer sleeve, another flat washer, hex nut and have the Allen screw long enough to drill through for a cotter pin.
Best you find a fancy bolt, eh?

Is gggGary the forums parts dealer? :)

Yeah dat's me, a shameless monger of mangy XS miscellany.

In this case I think the MikesXS part is a good way to go.

Bolt - Brake Backing plate to Brake Stay
29-7010.jpg

Bolt assembly (Special type) - Fits: Brake Shoe Backing
plate to Brake stay.
Fits: All 1974-84 XS/TX650's.
Part #29-7010
$5.45 USD Set

Note; I have not used this mikesXS part.

You'll notice the assembly uses a thin nut. If you switch to a thicker normal or nylock nut, it may block the cotter pin hole. I've always used the original thin nuts and never had one come loose (combined with the flat and lock washer of course). I use a cotter pin as well. If it ever did come loose, that would stop it from coming off.

Always good to do this correctly, as if the nut comes off and the stay falls off, the next application of the rear brake will break stuff, lock the wheel and you have to hope that coming up to that stop sign you had been using your front brake to dump all your speed and applied the brake just as you were almost stopped. Picture is from a recent purchase, I was not the operator.

Attachments

• SAM_4012.JPG
    SAM_4012.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 67
  • SAM_4013.JPG
    SAM_4013.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 68
  • SAM_4015.JPG
    SAM_4015.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 76
Note; I have not used this mikesXS part.

Hi Gary,
we did.
When we swapped my son's 1980 XS650 Special from cast wheels to wire wheels that special bolt was one of the parts we didn't have.
Been at least 5 years and it ain't failed yet.
Gotta say that although MikesXS dodgy electrics and questionable elastomers are a cause for concern, it's really difficult to screw up a screw, even a complicated one.

But they do, lol. Note the fine, fine threading job on this MikesXS part (on the left). We couldn't even use it.

But they do, lol. Note the fine, fine threading job on this MikesXS part (on the left). We couldn't even use it.
]

Hi 5twins,
I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that it would be very difficult. I just can't imagine how a screw thread could be made to look like that.
Wrong pitch or threadform? That's easy. Mistakenly lefthanded? Possible but more difficult. But wavy AND varied pitch? HTF they managed to do that, eh?

Back