NY Bobber Build

Tom,

I don't want to come of as a know it all type so i will ask if you mind if I give you a few pointers on the gussets and if you do would you want them on the thread or PMed. We old guys have to look out for the young guys. Its just sometimes while doing so on forums things get misunderstood and so on... I don't want that to happend.
I think you are kicking ass wish I had my shit together like that at your age.

Lester

Any advice ill take, better now than before Anything is welded together. I've seen a few different styles of gussets, and liked this style the best.

Thanks for the help

Well done on your build - fantastic to see young guys like you getting into building bikes and well done to your school for encouraging you! I was lucky enought to have a school like that and a teacher to match - cant thank him enough!
Keep up the good work!!

Thanks, can't say it's great on my wallet but it'll be worth it. Already have ideas for the next couple bikes, it's addicting.

Any advice ill take, better now than before Anything is welded together. I've seen a few different styles of gussets, and liked this style the best.

Thanks for the help

Thats the spirit Tom. I just wanted to make sure we did not have a misunderstanding.
I see alot of XS650s with out gussets at all BUT I have a feeling you will be riding it like a 16 year old would and you could use the extra bracing. Now first off the placment... I see in your design you have put a plate accross the down tube and the the gusset in the middle of that plate meeting the back bone... Well like this the gusset will not be doing anything at all because under stress (thats when you need the gusset to work) the cross plate between the down tubes will just buckle. This plate can be compared a pressed paperboard type milk or juice carton. Press with your finger in the middle of the carton you you can fell it give way to the force from your finger... now place your finger all the way to the edge of the carton adjacent to the wall press with your finger, now you will feel the carton is quite ridgid. Same with the frame gusset... this is why they are place where they are and because of the two down tubes we need two gussets. You could always weld them so they don't protrude at all
Also I lke how they look but you may want to have a bit more radius in the gusset as sharpe edges are more prong to tear. All you have to do it open up the one you have already made and end it off with a nice radius... excuse my poor scetches...LOL.
Hope this helps you along your chopper road, thumbs up for your build! :thumbsup:

first picture showing the milk carton bit....lol
gusset 3.jpg

second pic showing tear because of sharp ending and ornage lines showing better plament of two gussets, cross plate then not needed.
Gusset 2.jpg

Radius... over done to show what I ment
Gusset.jpg

Last edited:
Appreciate the advice, didn't realize it wouldn't hold up structurally. Ill have to cut out another one next week, Ill work on the one I already cut out and give it that radius in the middle. Still have to drill and shape the seat pan, and going to start tacking everything in place to bring to school next week to TIG weld it all together.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that out, think ill have to take that engineering class next year.

Cheers Tom,

I'm happy to help. I'm a machinist and a mechanical engineer and I love it!
I think you will do very well in engineering class since you have a true interrest already at such a young age.

Here is a link to my build thread... just getting started, check out the seat pan...
Wish I had a TIG... I have only have an old MIG that is trying to die on me.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24680

Have a great weekend

Lester

I skipped through your build earlier, going to look it later on. Ended up going out today and picked up some metal so I'm going to remake the gussets tonight.

Made a little more progress yesterday, welded up the neck gussets, seat pivot/seat spring mounts and rear brake stay. Still need to weld in the gas tank bungs (not sure if I like the tank I have), and the rear brake pivot, and figure out how I'm going to make my mid controls, design a fender and most of the frame should be done.

8C1-ACA158DFC7A9-3628-00000544BAB060AB_zps0dbc1b2a.jpg

E16-189E31B7D66B-3628-00000544CAAED7E9_zps8dfca686.jpg

Last edited:
You kick ass ! Looking good... real good, way to go.
With the welding skills you have you going on you could always modify the tank you have.... lots of options to go for... check out YouTube on this subject.

Been awhile since I updated this thread, bike has been finished for about a month or two. Had a few little problems in the beginning, but everything was sorted out and it's been running great, starts up 1 kick. For a hardtail, the bike is very comfortable, barely feel bumps with the seat springs. Bike is much more comfortable than my Ninja. Thinking about rephasing the motor over the winter, maybe a 750 kit, still reading up on them.

Have people asking me about the bike all the time, haven't touched my other bike since this has been on the road.

Hard to see it in the pics, but there is a piece of a license plate bracket on the axle. I bought one of those license plate brackets on ebay, ended up being cheap cast aluminum and ended up breaking when I was going down the road. I've now replaced that with one from monstercraftsman, which has been holding up fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1864.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1860.jpg
    IMG_1860.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1862.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 180
Looks awesome dude, Kick ass job on the bike congrates!
Now go build another one sell it and create a name for yourself !
You're gonna be famous!

Lester

PS always wear a helmet!

Thanks, feels good to look back on the old pictures and see what the bike used to look like. Don't see myself selling this one anytime soon, always looking for another bike to make a project out of, all the ones I've been finding are too nice and I wouldn't want to cut them up.

Back