O Ring Chain

yarddog53

xs rider
Reaction score
Any one out there running an O Ring Chain and if so how do you like them ??? I understand that you don't have to lube them. Thinking about geting one .

i still lube them. i use a small amount of motor oil every time i clean the bike/chain. but my ducati is aluminum sprockets so they wear quite quickly. I'm sure on an older lower power bike with steel sprockets you wouldn't have to much.

Yes they are lubricated in the rollers, but the chain itself still wears on the sprocket teeth.

yeah i oil my o-ring chain every 200 - 300 miles. i just bought the biggest cheapest can of chain oil i could find and give it a good dousing inside and out whenever i think of it.

We are a full time motocross racing family and on our race bikes we would never run a O ring chain due to the drag you get out of them but on my XS i wouldn't run anything but one, I hate oil slopping around on my tire...

If you don't ride in a lot of crud/rain etc. you don't need to do much. You can't actually lube anything but the outside of the chain to keep it from rusting in bad conditions. The last xs I sold had 6000 miles without a chain adjustment and it looked like new. No crap slung all over the bike, either. I wipe the x-ring on my ZRX 1100 with chain lube or WD40 occasionally since I ride in some funky conditions sometimes.

John

Hey everybody thanks for all the replys. sounds like most everybody like them but you still need to lube. so do you think it worth the extra cost over a standard chain.???

Not so much lube, protect is more the thing. Clean with a rag dampened with degreaser, let dry then apply a chain wax. Made for o-ring chains. It keeps the dirt out of the chain. When dry it won't fling off like other lubes.

I've been using nothing but wax for about 7 years on my o-ring chains. Clean the chain, go for a couple mile ride to warm up the chain. Spray on the wax and let it dry for 15 min. I try to clean and wax them about every 500 miles. To be honest, I hardly even have to clean them. All I do is rinse with the hose and wipe with a rag, go for my ride, spray it on and wait the 15 min.

This is the stuff I always use: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/197/12473/ITEM/Maxima-Chain-Wax.aspx

Get the big can.. It'll last a long time and is a much better deal.

My chain wax doesn't work. Do I have to take it out of the can or something? Bought a can about a month ago but haven't tried it yet, Is it for O ring chain only, not for conventional chain?

I think so. I tried it years ago when it 1st came out because all the magazines raved about it. It plain sucks on a normal chain. No penetration and lubing properties what so ever, it just coats the chain and keeps it from rusting. It is what it says it is, a wax coating for your chain. Totally useless on a normal chain. Mine kinked all up in no time when I tried it. I ended up giving it away because it was good for nothing in my eyes.

Yea the Maxima. I like it for the O-ring chain, it's not for regular chains. A regular chain needs a lube that gets into the pins and rollers.

Back