OH SNAP! Broken PCV box bolt's!

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to make a new upper motor mount so I can run a Detroit Bros deep tunnel Instigator tank. So I need to do a little trimming on the inside of the tab's so I can make a mount like the one pictured. It goes in the center of the frame and that what I need to run this tank.

I needed to take off the pcv box so I could see how much I could grind. Good thing I did too. There's no room to take anything off of the outer edge's. As I was taking out the bolt's from the pcv box 3 of them broke off in the motor. I'm going to see if I can weld a nut on the stud that is sticking out. If that won't weld, then I'll try JB Weld. If that won't work,,,here's finally the point of the thread. Since I have one good bolt hole, could I just use some kind of sealer and hope for the best. That's just a vent,,right? I really don't want to pull the motor to get these bolt's out. Any idea's. Thanks.

Attachments

• xs650-chop-noid-3.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-3.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 77
So would it hurt to just use some gasket sealer and mount the pcv box with just one bolt. If it did have an air leak, would that necessarily hurt anything?

have you got the pcv box off all of the way yet? Any chance of getting some grip on what left of the stud?

May try to pb blaster them and let it sit for a night or take a punch and hammer and try to shock them a bit.

Then try an easy out.

That sucks man... good luck

I think one bolt isn't enough, two in opposite corners maybe. you know the old saw: You can pay me now or pay me later. If it's any consolation you are not alone, I have had those bolts break too.

What do you all think of this; if there's enough bolt sticking out to weld a nut on, why not instead cut a screwdriver slot in it and use an impact driver? It seems to me that with a nut on it it's still going to be as stubborn as it was originally.

Although the heat of welding would likely break it loose, on second thought.

Back