Ohh gggGary......

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I couldn't help but notice those sleek little side bags you have mounted up here. Perfect for slipping your morning paper into, when headed for the coffee shop or carrying gloves and a bottle of Old Grandad. Are these custom Gary creations? How'd you mount them. They are very tidy!
IMG_5273.JPG

You rang??

lurch.jpg

Oh those are high dollar custom units!!!

About $25 in the horsey section at Farm n Fleet. Shortened the cross over cause a 650 isn't as wide as a horses ass (no smart talk now!) Notched a bit to clear the seat hinge, strings to the passenger peg mounts. Should have brackets to keep them out and away but no problems in several years of use.
Just right for various and sundry and small errand running. Half dozen ears of corn so sweet you could eat it raw, in one bag, last couple of nights.

Good eye Bob! I didn't catch them in gggGary's pics.

Nice! we don't have Farm N Fleet up here but gonna check TSC.

Last edited:
Details
DSCN7865.JPG
DSCN7867.JPG
DSCN7866.JPG
Yeah the Michelin CT2 front tire on the back of an XS650 experiment didn't go so well, about 3800 miles and it's toast. Same tire on front is doing great. new rear wheel set up in the works

Another set that are for motorcycles, if I did a bit of surgery and mounted them around the seat hinge (forward about 5") they'de be great. Got these on a bike I bought (back) no labels so?????

DSCN7869.JPG
DSCN7870.JPG
DSCN7868.JPG
DSCN7872.JPG
DSCN7873.JPG
DSCN7871.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this gggGary. I have been wanting some additional storage ideas other than the back carrier/knapsack/backpack combo. Gonna do some digging.

Yup - I am an old long distance bicycle touring guy and the rule in that crowd is: never carry anything on your body (except of course for the mandatory clothing) - no knapsacks etc. The bike should do the carrying. That's why I have a tailbag and a tank bag and saddle bags.

I do have a nice leather courier / messenger bag that carries my laptop when I head done to the office, but that's only a 10 minute ride.

I'm liking that Gary. I would have never guessed that those were literally horse saddlebags. I really like the slim nature of them for around town riding. Thank you for the quick response. I'm going to have to do some thinking on this.
Thanks Bob

Those second set, what do they look like from the back? I mean facing the wheel.

When I bought my 1100cc honda shadow from my father it had Large Leather Horse type saddle bags on it but there was a steel bracket behind them that kept them out of the wheel it was a simple loop of steel rod bolted on each end in a U shape to the rear frame just behind the rear shocks.... easy enough to make I think mine had bolts through the frame rails to hold it on with 2# 1/4" bolts and nylocks on them
I brought home some heavy loads of stuff in them from time to time and never had a problem, but I found myself cramming stuff in and not having quite enough room so I wound up putting on the Hard saddle bags I had on my other bike that looked more like luggage and I also had a top box along with that so I took the frame I made for them and just put it on the 1100 and that solved my storage problem.
Hard bags are the way to go as they are water proof... the leather bags are not their only weather resistant in other words your Dry clothes are soaking wet when you get to your destination ! unless you put them in a plastic bag !.....
my top box was a short one , short and wide and I installed turn signals in it for better visibility which I changed to 3 stop lights later on
a much better arrangement ! the top box was bolted to the frame work and was not removeable but the saddle bags just unlocked and popped off and I could take them into the house to unload in the rain ! very handy !
.... the frame work I made up was a nightmare at first but I finally got it setting where I wanted it....
however the exhaust was very close to the front corner of the saddle bags and I had to watch it close , as it got hot enough to start melting one time.... so I added a aluminum plate as a heat shield , just pop riveted it on and that cured the problem, it was that or raise the bags and the shield was far easier ! LOL
.... put many miles on it like that and it added a good 150lbs to the load because they were never empty ! and for a bike that was over 900 lbs stock it was a Pig ! way too heavy even stripped .... I swore I would never have anything bigger than a 750 after wrasslin' that monster....
as it just made life harder all the way around....
Bob.......

I like them.
I appreciate the cross-pollination with other domains, too. It is interesting to see what comes out off thinking "outside the box", as Gary does.
I didn't see them when I first looked at the picture, either.

I was at a flea market a couple months ago, and picked up a number of horsey-related items, on impulse, thinking I might be able to do something with them...........

001.JPG

Its for sale, by the way. :laugh2:

Last edited:
I like them.
I appreciate the cross-pollination with other domains, too. It is interesting see what comes out off thinking "outside the box", as Gary does.
I didn't see them when I first looked at the picture, either.

I was at a flea market a couple months ago, and picked up a number of horsey-related items, on impulse, thinking I might be able to do something with them...........

View attachment 104338

Its for sale, by the way. :laugh2:
That's on Allison's wish list too!

allison shadow southern Kettle 2017.jpg

She (and Shadow) took first place in a 30 miles race last weekend.

Competitive trail rides, races. She mostly rides a treeless western saddle. Better feel for what the horse is doing, and light weight.
She raised that gelding, when he was two the vet had him on an operating table and said we will "put him down" for you, he will never be able to breathe right. (soft epiglottis) She had different ideas for him, he's 16 now and is leading in his class this season's racing.

And God help her when the horse dies , sorry to be morbid but its inevitable we out live most critters and the gals seam to over look that aspect and it tears their harts out... so keep reminding her.... she'll need it Gary and your support , it will be like loosing a Kid to her.
.....I love horses, their the most loyal critters out there, stack right up with dogs in that respect.... and greet you everyday
but they don't live long.... 20 yrs max usually and that is far too short !
Bob........

Wow Gary - 30 miles is a long way on a horse. Impressive lady!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, she's lived horses since the 60's 3 have died since I've been here. Shadow is second generation here, Allison and his mom were 3rd place nationally in this type of racing. The arabs typically live late 20's early 30's

Cool ! yes 30 miles is more than a comfy evening ride ! that is a Hard all day trek ! .... I think Period piece is going to have a good Mom too ! LOL
I did 20 miles once on horse-back and I was sore for a week .... it took all day at walking and trotting all the way....
when we reached our 2 mile dirt road we were soo glad to be on our "driveway" it was unreal !....
we were riding the mares back from getting them bred at a big ranch.... we got 2 of the purtiest appaloosa colts from that trip a few months later and what a joy it was to watch them grow up ! LOL
anyway when we finally drug in that evening, even the horses were tired ! which never happened before ! LOL
that saddle on the xs650 may look strange but I bet it is comfortable ! ....I think I would trim off the leg protectors and keep the saddle on there !!! LOL
My sister and I rode allot with what they call "bare-back saddles" its simply a thick horse blanket that has stirrups on it.... I got the one with stirrups my sis got the one without stirrups ..... lol..... I remember well racing "Sugar " Our Mustang we got off the oregon range headed to the slaughterhouse in Santa Rosa.... she grew up to be close to 16 hands high and could run faster than the wind ! on my little honda 90cc and she Loved to race me ! LOL she always won but it was her thing ... she would prance around after the race like I won , I won !!!!! when I got a 250cc I made her work for it.... I could win every time if I wanted too but I let the Horse win because she loved it so much ! LOL
and I didn't like the rocks she could kick up into me at 50mph ! besides Passing a horse when her belly is only inches off the ground and she is all stretched out giving it all she's got isn't something I liked to do on a skinny dirt road ! .....
that horse could go from zero to 45mph in 3 bounds and she was just getting started !
hehehe that was a life time or 2 ago.....but I remember it like yesterday , the twinkle in the horses eye and the big smile ! HA !
living on the Ranch as a Kid had it's perks ! HAHAHAH ! and full of education too I watched that horse Kill a Rattle snake in her pin
and she was MAD !!!! took 30 minutes to calm her down... she would not let me near it to kill it she even gently turned her butt towards me and kicked me out of the way .... finally a perfectly placed front hoof ended the dancing around.... and she let me get him.... she new she got him ..... I checked her out real good and discovered a bit of blood on her right leg by the hoof.... I thought oh no ! went and told mom and when sis got home from her date I told her and we both went out with flashlights and sis put some BFI (powdered iodine) on the tiny cut
her food didn't swell up so it must'a been just a cut from something else. ..... Mustangs hate rattle snakes and No rattle snake would dare inter her 2 acre pin ! LOL
....one time she cornered one in the brush by a fallen log and I went over to see why she didn't come get her hay , sure enough a rattler was coiled in there ready to strike... so i went and got my shotgun and the horse backed way off then.... I shot it 2 times and showed the horse the pieces and she snorts and went to her hay ! LOL
.....to this day i always say there is no such thing as a dumb animal .... except maybe Man ! LOL
Bob.......

Cool ! yes 30 miles is more than a comfy evening ride ! that is a Hard all day trek ! .... I think Period piece is going to have a good Mom too ! LOL
I did 20 miles once on horse-back and I was sore for a week .... it took all day at walking and trotting all the way....
when we reached our 2 mile dirt road we were soo glad to be on our "driveway" it was unreal !....
we were riding the mares back from getting them bred at a big ranch.... we got 2 of the purtiest appaloosa colts from that trip a few months later and what a joy it was to watch them grow up ! LOL
anyway when we finally drug in that evening, even the horses were tired ! which never happened before ! LOL
that saddle on the xs650 may look strange but I bet it is comfortable ! ....I think I would trim off the leg protectors and keep the saddle on there !!! LOL
My sister and I rode allot with what they call "bare-back saddles" its simply a thick horse blanket that has stirrups on it.... I got the one with stirrups my sis got the one without stirrups ..... lol..... I remember well racing "Sugar " Our Mustang we got off the oregon range headed to the slaughterhouse in Santa Rosa.... she grew up to be close to 16 hands high and could run faster than the wind ! on my little honda 90cc and she Loved to race me ! LOL she always won but it was her thing ... she would prance around after the race like I won , I won !!!!! when I got a 250cc I made her work for it.... I could win every time if I wanted too but I let the Horse win because she loved it so much ! LOL
and I didn't like the rocks she could kick up into me at 50mph ! besides Passing a horse when her belly is only inches off the ground and she is all stretched out giving it all she's got isn't something I liked to do on a skinny dirt road ! .....
that horse could go from zero to 45mph in 3 bounds and she was just getting started !
hehehe that was a life time or 2 ago.....but I remember it like yesterday , the twinkle in the horses eye and the big smile ! HA !
living on the Ranch as a Kid had it's perks ! HAHAHAH ! and full of education too I watched that horse Kill a Rattle snake in her pin
and she was MAD !!!! took 30 minutes to calm her down... she would not let me near it to kill it she even gently turned her butt towards me and kicked me out of the way .... finally a perfectly placed front hoof ended the dancing around.... and she let me get him.... she new she got him ..... I checked her out real good and discovered a bit of blood on her right leg by the hoof.... I thought oh no ! went and told mom and when sis got home from her date I told her and we both went out with flashlights and sis put some BFI (powdered iodine) on the tiny cut
her food didn't swell up so it must'a been just a cut from something else. ..... Mustangs hate rattle snakes and No rattle snake would dare inter her 2 acre pin ! LOL
....one time she cornered one in the brush by a fallen log and I went over to see why she didn't come get her hay , sure enough a rattler was coiled in there ready to strike... so i went and got my shotgun and the horse backed way off then.... I shot it 2 times and showed the horse the pieces and she snorts and went to her hay ! LOL
.....to this day i always say there is no such thing as a dumb animal .... except maybe Man ! LOL
Bob.......
Great Stories, Bob.

I hadn't any sort of contact with horses for about 50 years until I picked up that English saddle and some bridles at a flea market, on a whim. The process of figuring out what I had, and now, how to pass them on to someone who could actually use them, has led to meeting 4 of my neighbor's horses, real up-close-and-personal.

Cool animals.

Back