oil filter question

gravelman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi guys joe here got a quick question herewas just doing my first oil change here on my 72 xs2 anyways i did get a parial downloaded manual from old owner preety vague but anyways it says to be care full not to damage the oring seal on the filter when putting back in well i took it off very care fully and i dont see no oring theres only a paper gasket on the backside of filter which mates to motor and a big round paper gasket that goes on housing that bolts to engine case am i missing something or does oring apply to newer models also u think i should drop the front filter under sump if i do do i need to order any patrts i guess i relly need to get a good manual for my model or see if theres one online anyways i got my new stock repos mufflers for my bike from mikes and the bike works awsome nice fit good sound good performance oh and once agin thanks for all u guys feed back its been all helpfull oh and i also got my boyer ign too havent put that in yet just trying to make my mind up on carbs now flat slide or round decishins dechions lol later guys

There's no o-ring, just a paper gasket that the side filter presses against. Be gentle with that big bolt that holds the filter on. If the gasket is torn you can buy a new one or make it, but it can be a pain to clean out the old gasket down in that hole without scratching it.

It's probably a good idea to drop the sump plate and take a look at the filter down there too. The filter screen usually tears and there will be trash down there. It uses a paper gasket as well, sometimes you can reuse them a few times.

There's a service manual here
http://dejaviews.org/xs/

There are numerous articles/discussions covering all aspects of oil, changing oil, oil filters, sumps, sump screens and gaskets on this board. But here it is in a nutshell. There are 2 drain plugs on the bottom on the engine. One is located in the sump. Both are sealed using copper washers (not "O" rings). The sump is sealed with a paper (gasket material) gasket. Again, not a "O" ring. Inside the sump is the sump filter screen, there's a good possibility it is cracked and/or broken they almost always are. Repair it, don't replace.(Many articles cover this). On the right side of the engine is a round cover held in place by 2 cap screws. This cover is sealed with a paper gasket similar to the sump (different shape). No "O" ring here either. Under this cover is the cleanable oil filter. Also no "O" ring.

hi guys thanks for ur input i am pulling the sump screen out i just ordered new filter screen gaskets and new crush washers i did notice a bit of sludge in there the bike only had 19 thousand miles on it but i thing it may have been neglected frequint oil changes or not done when oil was hot but anyways i have been toying with maybe flushing out while i have the sump screen out any thing i should beware of or should i just flush thank u all very much again joe

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Is it advisable to wash the side-cover filter with water when inspecting it?

Back