Oil leak issue

alex f

Anything xs
Reaction score
So right off the rip i gotta state the fact that i dont really know jack. Somehow i mannaged to get my 82 pieced back together soley usings knowledge from this site ( huge thanks to anyone whos posted with noobs like me in mind )

Basically shes spewing oil from somewhere under the clutch cover, around the fly wheel. Would i be correct in assuming the oil may be comming from the clutch seals? From my understanding oil does not circulate through that side of the motor right? Any input greatly appreciated. thanks fellas.

If you're talking about the large lower cover on the left side, yes you are correct. It isn't filled with oil and should be dry under there. But, there are 4 oil seals under there that could be leaking. There is one on the crank behind the alternator and rotor, others on the clutch pushrod, shift shaft, and countershaft. You'll just have to figure out which one (or more) is/are doing the leaking. The most common leaker is the clutch pushrod seal. A close second would be the countershaft seal. Many times this one is OK but leaks because the nut holding the sprocket on has come loose. That nut needs to be very, very tight to stop leaks, like 90 ft/lbs tight.

Okay thanks ill be looking at it later tonight so hopefully its just making sure everythings tight enough.

Back