Oil Leakage: Behind ignition and around advance mech (undercover)

mvonwahlde

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all-- I have a leak behind the ignition cover and then also on the advance mechanism side inside the cover. The ignition side is a pretty generous leak, the other is not. Gaskets are new and I can't seem to see where either is specifically coming from. I tried retorquing head (which was also a rebuild) but after I ran it again it leaked... again.

Engine has been rebuilt. This was a basket case that I'm probably in over my head on...

Any suggestions? the manuals don't push me in one direction or the other.

thanks.

Hi Pete! The rubber seals are the cam shaft seals, right? They go on the outside of the carrier. They are there. The one on the ignition side looks fine inside, but there is oil underneath the engine side of the carrier (I haven't had the outside cover on as I still need to deal with timing). The one on the advance mechanism side is there too, with a liberal amount of yamabond or some other grey gasket sealant around it, but it doesn't seem to be leaking there... yet some oil was resting at the bottom of the cup/carrier.

read page 1 on the post 'could my coils be bad' i bumped it to the top for you, sorry havnt workd out how 2 do links from my phone yet. cheers

Posted via Mobile

Thanks Yamaman for the help.

Here is the link for anyone else looking for it...
[url]http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97044&postcount=19[/URL]

I'll give that a try. The engine was mostly assembled when I bought it and I know that the gaskets all around are new and replaced by the PO when he rebuilt, besides the cases which I haven't replaced yet until I figure out the clutch issues--a clicking noise that sounds like the basket or the pushrod cap hitting the outer right case when in gear.

Trying to deal with each issue as it comes. Should have finished the engine last winter while I was waiting for the welder to finish his magic all those months!!! I coulda been on it months ago! ha. cry.

sounds like the clutch might not have been aligned right, will go together any which way, but only 1 way is right, some1 will post you a link on how 2 shortly, im sure. cheers

Posted via Mobile

I had a problem like that recently; turned out to be leaking oil line banjo bolts on the head cover; with the tank on I couldn't see the source, but oil showed up under the ign. and advance covers. Just a thought.

If the oil is leaking from the seals where they set on the cam, it might be the surfaces on the cam have a bit of rust. Remove the housings, polish the cam. clean and rust free. Replace the seals.
On the housings they have a gasket and o-ring. I assemble them with out the gasket, just the o-ring. This moves the seals onto the cam farther. Putting the seal on a fresh area of the cam.
I have looked closely at several engines and the lip of the seal is very close to the slight bevel on the end of the cam. Without the gasket the lip of the seal is over on the flat area of the cam and not on the bevel.
Leo

Back