oil leaking from front cam chain guide bolts

Beean123

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, i was wondering if someone could tell me if the is any sealent needed for the bolts on the front side cam chian guide bolts that are located behind the oil tube, i just rebuilt the top half of the motor,replaced the copper washers and it seems to be leaking oil from them:yikes:

If you replaced the copper washers, it shouoldn't be leaking. I would take them off, one at a time, and inspect the sealing surface carefully for scratches. If you find anything that you can gently file or sand flat, do so. Otherwise just use a little silicon sealer on them.

DLD1

Well, I'm leaking too. I put 25 miles on today, got home, and there is a tad bit of oil from the cam chain tension adjuster and where the jugs meet the case. Great, just great.

I also have a good leak from the clutch pushrod seal that was just replaced, can i replace it without splitting the case again?

Yes, the pushrod seal can be changed with out splitting the cases. Ordr two seals, in case you mess up the first one.
Pull out the rod. pull the seal, I use a large screwdriver. Care you don't scratch the case. The edge of the hole is sharp. You need to bevel this edge. Just enough to break the sharp edge.
A thin coat of Three Bond on theouter edge of the seal and carefully slip in the new one. I have a large Philips head screw driver that just fit in the seal. I put a large washer on the screw driver, then the seal. I put the shaft of the screw driver in where the push rod goes. The screw driver guides the seal straight in. The washer stops the seal from being pushed in to far.
You might want to replace the bushing in the end of the tranny shaft if you haven't yet. If the bushing is worn the push rod can move sideways and put more pressure on the seal and wear it sooner.
On Mike's XS site, in the tech section he tells how to replace the bushing.
On the leaks from the front guide bolts a thin coat of the Three Bond will seal them. There are two places for oil to leak there. The bolts with the ten mm heads and the larger chrome plated bolts the small bolts go thru.
Be carefull on the torque on the small bolts. The aluminum that the guide is made from will strip out if over torqued.

Back