Hello, newbie to this site. Any help appreciated. I have a xs650se 1981.i have a front oil leak from the crankcase gasket. Any advise ?

Sipadan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie to this site.
I have a 1981 xs650se with an oil leak from the center crankcase gasket as pic.
Not sure whether to tackle from the top or bottom.
Any advise appreciated
Sonny

Attachments

• 20230815_193754.jpg
    20230815_193754.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 60
Not sure whether to tackle from the top or bottom.
Any advise appreciated
Oil leaks - in the wind - like to travel. I always like to clean the area thoroughly and apply some talcum powder to the area to trace exactly where the leak is coming from (the center case would be a very unusual leak point). The dusting with powder will enable the oil to leave a visible trail as it leaks and identify the true source. The bottom of the oil delivery pipe would be a more common source in that general area. You really want to be sure of where the leak emanates from before disassembly.

Having said all that; if it is indeed the center case joint, removing the bottom case - with motor upside down - would be far easier.

I had a leak 2 weeks ago at the front
I believed it was the bottom nut for the oil delivery pipe but the screws behind the pipe was a bit loose I believe it is for the front cam chain guide
at 6 o clock it is possible to reach with a spanner 10 mm or so.. If i remember right there are copper washers

1692145409803.png

Back