oil level in normal range even when bike is running????

jo jo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question, is this normal. Shouldnt the dipstick be low,becouse oil is circulating? Excuse me if this is a ignorant question.

You measure the oil after the engine has been shut off for a few minutes, same as with a car. The level at any other time isn't normally your concern. But yes with the engine running, a lot of the oil is not in the oil pan and is up in the engine

Can't say I've ever tried checking the oil with the dip stick while the engine was running. Neat trick. Must be something new like that texting thing.

You shouldn't be checking the oil while the engine is running as you will get a false reading most of the time. Not only is the oil being slung around and in a constant state of moving, there is likely to be at least a little bit of foaming. Both of those things would give you a false reading.

Not only that but with the engine running the oil mist that usually goes out the breather comes out the dip stick hole. Spraying oil all over.
Leo

Not only that but with the engine running the oil mist that usually goes out the breather comes out the dip stick hole. Spraying oil all over.
Leo
yeah, i started my 2003 marauder without the fill hole capped, and sprayed oil all over the place.
I think what op meens is when bike is off, the oil level is the same as when it is running, wich is wierd.

Could be due to a swirling pattern in the return path. Might just happen to swirl up on that side. BTW, Never try to check a Road Star's oil level with it running, or start it with the dipstick out, unless you want an Old Faithful replica in your garage or driveway!

Back