Oil Seal Woes...argh...

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm deleting the starter on my 79 2F, and getting this seal out (the one that seals the link to the motor) so that I can use the freeze plug is proving really tough. Is there something I'm missing? Does it come out only one direction? Is there a metal ring I should be aware of? Thanks.

Dave

There is a metal ring in the seal. It's a bitch to get it out. I just used a flat screwdriver and hammer. Be careful not to damage the outer case while taking it out. The seal will be toast when you're done with it.

there is special tool that does make it easier and you have less of a chance of damaging the area around the seal (which will cause it to leak too)... looks like this .. was like $10 bucks.. got mine at o'reilleys auto parts

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/Product/91089620_L.jpg

but if your really careful a screwdriver and hammer would work just as well.. this just pries away from the casing wall a bit better

You guys rock. Thanks :) Just installed my freeze plug. I'm thinking of using a sealer on it like permatex just in case. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dave

Back