Oil Sump Question

Ecorse

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a 1978 XS650SE (Special) with about 17,000 miles. This is my first XS650. I'm in the process of checking out my purchase and going through a little routine maintenance. I've cleaned carbs, adjusted timing chain and valves. Next I'd like to get it running and change the oil. I picked up a new sump filter from Mike'sSX but have not attempted to pull the old one yet. Is it possible to replace the sump filter without removing the engine in a '78 Special? It looks pretty tight over by the kick stand. I've also read about some issues with the bolts and washers on the sump plate (people twisting them off). Judging by a healthy layer of grease and road crud my plate looks like it's never been off the bike. Can someone give me a little guidance before I jump in, damage something, and make a big job out of a little one? Thanks in advance.

Dave T.

It should come off pretty easily. Drain the oil first. If the filter isn't broken or if it's fixed, leave it alone.

Mine didn't present any special challenge :) If there's a gasket there, I re-used it. I didn;t even pay any attention, But someone had done a very nice repair on my filter. It looked like he used car body fiberglas resin or maybe epoxy glue, built up. Very slick job.

What you want to remove to get to the filter is the plate the front drain plug is on. No need to remove the motor....

First, clean the underside real good, then just take your time and use a light touch on the bolts. The ones on the left side above the kickstand are a bit awkward to get at, just pull the kickstand down far enough to get the clearance you need to get a socket on them. Some of us have installed the Heiden oil filter/cooler kit in the right side (clutch) cover to get more filtering capacity than the stock kidney-shaped filter provides.

VERY light on the bolts. 7lbs torque is practically finger tight, and amazingly, it won't leak, or at least mine doesn't (and i don't use a gasket)

Hi, mine has flat washers on the bolts. I had no problem removing them, but the plate needed some work to come loose. I also cleaned the gasket area on both sides and put on a new gasket. No problem!
:thumbsup:

Back