Oil volume and dipstick readings

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello

In relation to my extreme oil consumption I'd like to ask the following.

When I drain the oil and put in 2ltr. the oil level will be at the low mark on the dipstick, with the dipstick resting on the threads. Are you getting the same?

I get the same result with 2 qts. Is 2qts enough oil or should it be in between the lower and upper mark?

A liter is almost a quart.... .9 something to a quart in volume. It seems to me that 2 quarts is almost enough to put it where I like......so I buy 3 when changing the oil and the 3rd quart will cover a couple more changes without having to purchase a third the next couple of times....personal preferance.

I get the same as well. my case is stamped with 2500ml but i measure out 2000ml which puts it right at the low level mark. Otherwise, i get to much mist out the breather. Has worked fine for two years now. I have a 1975 motor so others may be different.

This might help. On my 75 I have a later right side cover with a site glass, with the bike on level ground, bike on center stand, the oil level in the site glass at the upper line the dip stick reads half way between the marks with it just sitting on the threads, if you screw it in it reads right at the upper line.
The book says to check with it on the threads and between the marks.
Leo

Attachments

• scan0001 (558x640).jpg
    scan0001 (558x640).jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 229
For an oil change (including removal of the strainer/filter on the right engine casing), I re-fill with 2.5 litres. That then reads about half way between the H and the L on the dip stick, with the dipstick resting on the threads.

My engine uses almost no oil. If you are using a lot of oil, then its due to worn internals such as valve seals, rings or passing head gasket.

Back