ok, 1981 xs650 h electrical problems

Stever_G

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Or remove it from the equation, if it is the problem.
Here it goes, the bought bike with turn signals that would remain on. thought I could simply replace flasher relay no problem. Blinker High /lo switch in rough shape I'll replace that as well. some po janky connections behind the headlight so I thought oem harness should be safe bet and help work out confusion. replaced harness and everything went well, only thing questionable about install was connection for the tachometer high beam indicator and illumination light. Now headlight doesn't work, tail light works but will not brighten when brake switch triggered, Blinkers do nothing. It did run when I started this project now I'm afraid to put the tank back on to see. And i feel like I'm wasting other board members time and patience by posting a question thread when I should be reading the prior posts.

Last edited:
Good Questions RG.
The easy way to test the safety relay depends a lot on the condition of the bike. If it is together and in running condition, as in starts with the e-start, just start the bike, With the bike running, push the start button. Does the starter engage, If no then the safety relay is fine.
If not it can be other things, Like a non working charging system.
The safety relay's main purpose is to protect the gears and shaft between the starter and engine. It does this by allowing the starter to operate to start the engine, then prevent the starter from operating when the engine is running.
It does this by tapping off some electricity from the stator. When the stator is making electricity a yellow wire caries some of this electricity to the safety relay. When the safety relay receives this electricity, it trips. This opens a set of contacts that allow electricity to flow through the starting circuit. When closed the starter works, when open the starter doesn't work.
On the later models the safety relay had a secondary purpose. It turned on the headlight.
Leo

Or remove it from the equation, if it is the problem.

I really would advise against removing the starter safety relay Stever. It protects those delicate and expensive (and had to source) starter gears.

Cleaning the relay is easy-peasy. Simply disconnect the unit and remove it from the bike. Then remove the two tiny little screws that secure the metal cover - and then gently spray in come contact cleaner and use a toothbrush to spruce it up in there. You might want to have a look at the little relay contacts themselves and possibly run a piece of fine sandpaper across them (just once - don't remove a lot of material) to clean them off as well.

The SSR is an important, but actually pretty simple device and as long as everything is clean inside and the electrical connections are secure - it ought to work fine and do the job for which it is intended by MamaYama and her merry band.

Last edited:
Stever needs to provide a lot more information. Pointless to speculate without knowing what he is talking about.

Leo..................."If it is together and in running condition, as in starts with the e-start, just start the bike, With the bike running, push the start button. Does the starter engage, If no then the safety relay is fine."
That is not a good test Leo. If the alternator is not charging, you run the risk of actually engaging the starter gears with the running engine, and damage the gears.

A single short push on the button won't hurt things much. Yes, there are better ways of testing, but this is quick and dirty.
You can hook up a power source and light bulb across the contacts then use that power source to trip the relay and see if the light goes out.
If the OP returns and asks a more specific question we can answer it better.
Leo

A single short push on the button won't hurt things much. Yes, there are better ways of testing, but this is quick and dirty.
You can hook up a power source and light bulb across the contacts then use that power source to trip the relay and see if the light goes out.
If the OP returns and asks a more specific question we can answer it better.
Leo

Pete, those starter gears are far from delicate. It's an inherently rude and crude clutchless system, and the only gear that takes significant damage in the event of an accidental button push is the #4 starter gear, which still works fine when it's half gone (for some reason the crankshaft ring gear hardly ever takes significant damage). I got rid of the SR on my machine long ago. Really, if a guy can't keep his thumb where it belongs, he shouldn't even think about owning an old bike!

Back