Ok, I give up on blinkers! Where the heck to mount 'em!

pristic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know I can go for bar ends, but have 4 LED neat little ones and the flasher for them.
I am thinking to put them just above the the rear axle adjusters on the hardtail... its just above the axle nut, etc
BUT, I have a prob on the left hand side - see the 1st pic below... my number plate and stop/tail light is there in the way.

Can I get your ideas. I HAVE to run blinkers and it will look fine but where should I (how) move the number plate. I always wanted a side mount plate... not in the middle.

IMG_2957.jpg

On the right, its got no number plate bracket - so I can mount it in this hole and it looks awesome! See my awesome edited photo

photo4.jpg

So, looking for ideas, want the number plate on the left and back as far as I can want the two blinkers mounted in those holes :banghead:

Looks like I cant think of a way to do both...

Peter

bar end blinkers? also is there a law where they need to be? in oregon there is not, they can both be on the same side. put one on each side of the tail light. sounds safe.

They make licene plate frames that are also turns signals (and also brake light too sometimes). Perhaps you could incorporate one of those and mount your current brake light to that.

This site has some LED's that look like they just stick on the edges of your license plate, another one integrates the turn signals into the licene plate frame like I mentioned:

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LICENSE-PLATE-TURN-SIGNALS/

bar end blinkers? also is there a law where they need to be? in oregon there is not, they can both be on the same side. put one on each side of the tail light. sounds safe.

Sorry been in the garage all day.
Yes here there are laws about em :-(

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ended up putting on a rear guard and mounted the blinkers in the guard strut/support. Looks good and will keep Mr Policeman happy.
Just have to wire em up, put a switch for them and she is basically done :)

Rode her up the street a bit today. Ran ok.
It's weird but without mufflers and air filters she runs much much better. With them on she sputters at low speed medium RPMs. I think maybe not enough air?
Havnt had time to test much. Soon though!

Cheers,
Peter

PS, throttle probs still there but riding it was fine. Ill get over it.
Clutch ferrule mikesXS is looking into and will let me know.
Ill have to muck around with it but ill make it work.

Posted via Mobile

Have you checked adr's on rear light and plate position? I'm keen to hear how you go with the hard tail getting rego'd.

Nice bike btw.

Ok got it sorted. Finally

Blinkers mounted front and rear. Need to choose a switch setup and wire them.
Mounted and wired up the speedo while I was there too!

And PS Austblue thanks. I'm proud of her. Did most of it myself. Had help of course. Certified welder did the frame though. Kinda thought that was a good idea :)

-46BE-4C59-A3BD-2DC1A8544A3D-1194-000000A332EFFE19.jpg

-4D5F-462C-8B15-36766E660D66-1194-000000A303466ADC.jpg

Posted via Mobile

handlebar mount blinkers!!!!!!! they look like a bar end weight , and you only need 2 instead of four. you can run the wires inside of the bars and get rid of the extra wires running back. its clean and look great!!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/984/32580/ITEM/K-S-Technologies-LED-Handlebar-End-Marker-Light-Kit.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA984&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CMjHjL7lyrYCFeNcMgodImYAKw

here is the link for some i found on a quick search

handlebar mount blinkers!!!!!!! they look like a bar end weight , and you only need 2 instead of four. you can run the wires inside of the bars and get rid of the extra wires running back. its clean and look great!!

Will look into those soon! Great idea. Just need more $ now hahaah.

Peter

Posted via Mobile

looks good. Can you post a pic of how you mounted your speedo?

Hey Angus,

No problem mate!
First you grab a bracket from a kids trampoline.
I was lucky enough that my sister was removing and throwing hers away. Took all the brackets.

It is the exact fit for the forks!!!
-6B89-48BF-9368-17A59A8B4C3F-1881-00000112B3CECA08.jpg

Next you drill a hole in it for the speedo mounting bolt.
And mount it and attach the cable through the second hole.
-4C2E-49CF-A729-F9830AC3D130-1881-00000112BABE64D6.jpg

Next mount it on the forks. The trampoline bracket bolt comes out completely and the bracket opens up to pretty much 90deg. Then clamp it on and badda bing badda boom. Done. Easy :)
-7402-4833-A626-526371FB738B-1881-00000112C59569AD.jpg

Finished. (Needs paint or powdercoat or polishing)
-52D6-481E-BECF-4652BE23E698-1194-000000A2EAB1EAE1.jpg

Cheers,
Peter

Posted via Mobile

Very clever speedo mount!
I think you may have started a trend, Trampoline Speedos!

Looks like you'll be getting a serious amount of clutch cable travel with that clutch lever setup.

Have you looked at the clutch worm travel (with left side cover off)?
Squeezing the lever all the way, will the worm arm travel far enough?

Hey Twomanyxs1bs,

Thanks, yeah the trampoline bracket is awesome. Going to use another one at the back of the hardtail I think! Will see :)
I'm always looking at things like that and thinking "hold on, that would work on my bike like this or that" and when it's free even better.

The clutch cable is different now. I put on a new worm gear and adjusted it after that picture. Works awesome now. Old worm was screwed.

Cheers,
Peter.

Posted via Mobile

Back