Ok, Im completely "baffled"

I think it's called a "baffle"???
I thought it was self-explanatory, but if you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Make this from EMT, aka thinwall, from Home Depot. It is friction fit, no drilling holes in your pipes. Make longer or shorter as you wish. Add more bolts and nuts as you wish. Wrap steel wool around it before you insert as you wish.
Simple, effective, will improve performance, I've made a lot of these.

I'm going try that! I dunno if I trust a friction fit though, had to dodge a guys airborne baffle that came loose on the interstate coming back from Laughlin awhile back.

Racer Rex, you're kidding me, right?

Oxblood, I get zero movement. Just really spread the wings before you insert them.

Do you have any idea what kind of bike threw the baffle? I've used these on XS650s and CB350s and Scramblers. If you're uncomfortable with it as is, make a hole and use a screw.

Actually, now that I think about it, the baffle probably got thrown because the screw worked itself out.

Though you were being an ass. I know its a baffle.
My bad, just use to Honda car forums where everyone's a dick.

I was wanting to know how it stays in but i see now its designed to stay in by adjusting the bolt.

RacerRex, no the bolt does not hold it in. The purpose of the bolt is to create additional back pressure. You can add more bolts at different axis if you feel the need. If you research "lollipop," that is a simple type of home-made back pressure device, and you will get the idea.

What keeps it in is the friction of the four "wings" on both ends, which are cut and then spread out wider than the diameter of the pipe that the baffle is being inserted into.

baffle.jpg

Make this from EMT, aka thinwall, from Home Depot. It is friction fit, no drilling holes in your pipes. Make longer or shorter as you wish. Add more bolts and nuts as you wish. Wrap steel wool around it before you insert as you wish.
Simple, effective, will improve performance, I've made a lot of these.

Just made a set of these and put them in Emgo Shorties. Much quieter. Less bark. Easy fix that works. Thanks for the idea:)

Just made a set of these and put them in Emgo Shorties. Much quieter. Less bark. Easy fix that works. Thanks for the idea:)

Did you wrap them in steel wool or just like they are?

Im going to open pipes soon, painted and wrapped. Want them to have plenty of back pressure and to be tollerable.

I left mine unwrapped since the shorties have some small amount of glass in them, HOWEVER, one of the baffles blew out somewhere on the highway. I bought these Supertrapps on ebay and will be installing them before riding season shows up here (late June!).

Attachments

• IMG_2686.jpg
    IMG_2686.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 123
I left mine unwrapped since the shorties have some small amount of glass in them, HOWEVER, one of the baffles blew out somewhere on the highway. I bought these Supertrapps on ebay and will be installing them before riding season shows up here (late June!).

How was the sound??? If bolted in, would they work pretty well?

Better off buying some baffles?

Id rather spend money and get it right than spend time and money and it still not be right.

Would you recommend this method?

How was the sound??? If bolted in, would they work pretty well?

Better off buying some baffles?

Id rather spend money and get it right than spend time and money and it still not be right.

Would you recommend this method?

They do what they are supposed to and if they were attached so that they wouldn't rattle or blow out they would be OK. They sound like crap when there is only one.

I just think that he didn't bend the wings out enough. It should take a lot of effort to get them in -- I have to hammer them in, using a bar on the center bolt. It is harder to get them out -- you have to devise a hook around the center bolt, and then use a slide hammer or improvise one. They don't move at all when I make them. When you cut the slots, keep the edges sharp.
I think the sound is awesome, and just right -- not too loud. My pipes are pretty long -- a little past the rear axle -- so a lot of the sound is behind me.

My pipes will be shorter, about the length of the ones in the photo I attached, maybe a few inches longer. I know they will be louder and leaner, but I like the look and the pipes are better than the 2 into 1 i have now. Better fit anyway.

Attachments

• Similar Pipes.jpg
    Similar Pipes.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 106
Back