Okay, now I'm REALLY curious.

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Pulled the engine out of that parts bike. Engine number matches frame number, 2F0-20xxxx. All the references I can find makes it a '79.

The engine has the TCI electronic ignition, no points or advance, both covers on top are empty. It also has BS-34 carbs with the side-pull choke knob. I didn't think these were available on the '79 models.

Also, the bike has the tail light mounted up under the grab bar at the back of the seat, a license plate light built into the plate holder, the rubber grommet type side cover latches, the snap-down rather than the hinged seat, plastic airbox coupler with o-rings rather than the rubber boot like on my other '79.

So, how many models were available in '79. I thought there was just the Standard and the Special.

Can someone enlighten me here?

BTW, the engine is looking really good. The oil was clean, the pump screen was clean, everything looks good under the clutch cover. Of course, there's that pesky stuck piston thing, but I'm still thinking that's relatively minor. Only fairly serious thing is corrosion under the alternator cover and I broke the brush housing getting it off due to a rusted screw. Brushes themselves looked good tho. I'll still put fresh ones in, but there wasn't much wear on them at all.

I'll probably pull the head and do a valve job on it if for no other reason than to get a good look at the cylinder bores. If I can get it freed up, I'll run a compression check on it before pulling the head.

This is what it would have looked like.

Attachments

• user3967_pic2567_1299415609.jpg
    user3967_pic2567_1299415609.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 161
Back