OLd BoNeS NeW BLoOD

One of these arrived in the post today. Hope to finish grinding the tabs off the frame this weekend have have the Brat Kit tack welded into place
Bratkit_zpsaceb2b10.jpg

Wow! Yours was even rustier than mine! :) These old bikes have the ability to be brought back from the dead,though, with a lot of work and a vision. Oh, money helps too!

Got a bit more done today. All unwanted tabs have now been ground off and Brat Kit tack welded into place
Before:
framebeforekit_zps7b42c3d6.jpg

After:
framewithkit_zpscead5596.jpg

IMG_2066_zps7dc1032f.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. Your first bike is sharp will want to see how this comes out.
Especially after seeing that swing arm shot I think it might be wise to section (maybe a pie cut with a grinder?) a bottom frame tube and see how much rust has eaten away the INSIDE of the tubes. Peace of mind and all, that has got to be the rustiest XS frame I have ever seen and I am a bottom feeder XS buyer.!

As far as pictures you can make an album on here, post pics to it, then link to them in your thread for full size pics that will always be around.

Nice work. Your first bike is sharp will want to see how this comes out.
Especially after seeing that swing arm shot I think it might be wise to section (maybe a pie cut with a grinder?) a bottom frame tube and see how much rust has eaten away the INSIDE of the tubes. Peace of mind and all, that has got to be the rustiest XS frame I have ever seen and I am a bottom feeder XS buyer.!

As far as pictures you can make an album on here, post pics to it, then link to them in your thread for full size pics that will always be around.
Thanks Gary

Got rid of the original swing arm and managed to source another one in much better condition. And thanks for the tip with the rusty frame. Will give it a go. I'm pretty sure i'm only dealing with some heavy surface rust, but we'll see how we go.

hey gkxs Your first build is awesome ! love the paint on the tank! was wondering what tires you used. Hope the second turns out even better than the first.

On your first bike what seat is that? Custom made or off the shelf? Bike looks great, looking forward to see how the new one progresses.

On your first bike what seat is that? Custom made or off the shelf? Bike looks great, looking forward to see how the new one progresses.
Hamos,
Thats a one off custom seat. I made the seat pan from fibreglass as it conceals all the electricals of the bike.
Originally i was running a capacitor, but i then went with a small battery, which i find makes the bike kickstart and run a lot better.

seat pan:
fiberglasspan_zpsd6677dd7.jpg

Electrics with Capacitor:
capacitor_zps44397e82.jpg

Now running with the small battery:
battery_zps0df399e6.jpg

I see. Great idea. So you fixed a plate to the frame to hold the electrics and moulded the seat pan over. I think I have found a solutionto my build.
How is the seat attached?

I see. Great idea. So you fixed a plate to the frame to hold the electrics and moulded the seat pan over. I think I have found a solutionto my build.
How is the seat attached?
Thanks exactly right!

I have built in a metal bar moulded to the front of the seat pan that slides in under the rear rubber grommet of the fuel tank mount

The rear of the seat pan has a threaded nut moulded into the seat pan that sits on to of the fender. I drilled a hole through the fender and run a bolt through the fender and that threads into the nut moulded in the seat pan

if you look at the image of the fibreglass seat pan, you can see a small lump at the rear where the nut is and at the front where the metal bar is running

Question… Will an XS-1 engine fit straight in to a 1978 frame?

Reason i ask, is that i went to put the XS-1 engine in the engine stand and noticed it did not fit like my 1975 engine did.

XS1/1B were kick only and the sump/lower case went as far back as the starter on '72 and up models. Not sure about '72-3, but the frames on '74 and up are closer to the starter, so early cases interfere. So no, not a straight swap, but the frame can be "massaged" depending on how committed you are on the project. Or it's already painted...:doh:

XS1/1B were kick only and the sump/lower case went as far back as the starter on '72 and up models. Not sure about '72-3, but the frames on '74 and up are closer to the starter, so early cases interfere. So no, not a straight swap, but the frame can be "massaged" depending on how committed you are on the project. Or it's already painted...:doh:
Thanks NONclow
I was hoping it was a clean fit!. Fortunately the frame is still bare. Can anyone else shed some light as to the mods required to retro fit this engine to frame? Or point me to a link that may cover this?

Last edited:
IIRC the front mount hole (below the oil feed pipe) is a bit further back on the 70 71 engines so a front mount would need to be modified or fabricated. I wasn't aware of any other fit issues.

Back