Old Brown

The seller was a good guy. He owns a body shop in town that I had repair several vehicles over the years. We talked for a couple of hours about bikes and cars.
He said he had 30 messages on FB marketplace since he posted it Thursday.
Was asking $950 which I think is a pretty good deal. He then handed me back $50 because he had offered it to a friend for that price.

All in all made for a pretty good Monday morning.

The seller was a good guy. He owns a body shop in town that I had repair several vehicles over the years. We talked for a couple of hours about bikes and cars.
He said he had 30 messages on FB marketplace since he posted it Thursday.
Was asking $950 which I think is a pretty good deal. He then handed me back $50 because he had offered it to a friend for that price.

All in all made for a pretty good Monday morning.
It a runner?

Looks like it will. Have not tried beyond kicking it to check the compression. There is fuel in the filter and nothing puking out the carb overflow so thats a good sign. There is no kill switch on the handle bars so will have to do some investigation into the wiring.

I can't even begin to express how excited i am to own this bike. Pretty much learned to ride on one that belonged to a friend of mine.

Looks like it will. Have not tried beyond kicking it to check the compression. There is fuel in the filter and nothing puking out the carb overflow so thats a good sign. There is no kill switch on the handle bars so will have to do some investigation into the wiring.

I can't even begin to express how excited i am to own this bike. Pretty much learned to ride on one that belonged to a friend of mine.
I've had several DT's. Lovely bikes. Maybe we need a "DT club?" :rolleyes:
I know @RustiePyles is building a 175 and @YamadudeXS650C is putting together a 250. I'm working on a '74 250 bitsa bike. Frame is sandblasted and I've started some repairs on it.

sandblasted frame.jpg

If it hasn't run in awhile its probably a good idea to toss a set of crank seals at it. They are the weak link and don't last to long sitting idle. Other than that I'd invest in a good modern reed cage and a good silencer/spark arrestor. Upgrade those things and that thing will rip. If you wanna dig a little deeper the exhaust ports on those were not finished very well so they definitely benefit form polishing. But to much port tweaking can turn a DT into an MX/YZ real quick and they stop being fun on the trail. If you find it a little anemic on the bottom end look into a flywheel/crank weight.

The plot thickens. The frame vin according to the Yamaha model chart I have translates to a 75 400MX. The engine number is 501-xxxxxxx the frame 510-xxxxxxx

The topend and pipe look awfully large for a 250. The front fender, tank and number plates are Yamaha mx parts from the images I've looked at for a 400mx .

And I see no provisions for a oil line on the intake and I don't see a oil tank or mounts for one (haven't looked that hard )

The plot thickens. The frame vin according to the Yamaha model chart I have translates to a 75 400MX. The engine number is 501-xxxxxxx the frame 510-xxxxxxx

The topend and pipe look awfully large for a 250. The front fender, tank and number plates are Yamaha mx parts from the images I've looked at for a 400mx .
looking at your pictures, the head pipe is on the wrong side for an IT250. Looks like a an IT400 to me.

IT400's have pant filling torque. The answer to the question (how much torque does it have?) is: all of it....

If that is a 75 MX400B, you basically stole it. Those are VERY desirable bike. And VERY mean. That was the first real Japanese big bore mono shock MX bike. I'd be looking for original tins. That is a wheelie MACHINE.

Back