Oldskoolcarbs Having issues...

Yeah, it's a good'n. I suggest searching images to see what the real life characters looked like and then keep them mind as you watch the flick.....yep.
I know the name Don Shirley. I might have read through charts by him in college, not sure.
Blacks traveling in the South reminds me my hometown and a little motel near the highway on the edge of town that was the black motel. Next door almost in the same place was a stockyard! When I was a kid, it was tradin' days on weekends in the front lot there. There was also a Rosenwald school nearby which tragically was torn down at some point, and a couple of black cemeteries. So I was surfing some deeper web one day and I came across a history of the town written by a local lawyer in the late 19th, which had been rescued from a courthouse fire. It mentions what it calls "the tree of justice" and I was trying to place where it would have been using landmarks that still exist, and it dawned on me later that it was in that same area! It also mentions a public debating society with famous lawyers and debate figures of the era passing through. Like they say, the past is like a foreign country. If you like reading that kind of stuff, there's a history of Lexington, Ky. written in 1875 that you can find on the web, that goes to the log stockade days. The author is named Ranck. It is utterly and completely modern in style which is weird.

Back