Omar tank

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Anyone else had problems with Omars fiberglass tank? I have had mine back to him 3 times and each time the inside lining (whatever he uses) ends up inside my carbs gumming up the slides and jets. Probably not so good for my motor I would guess. Gas comes out a bluish color. He has made me pay for the shipping each time not to mention I am out a paint job and graphics none of which he has agreed to pay for. I don't feel it was my fault his tank failed. He is finally supposed to be sending me a new tank instead of trying once again to fix the old one. Honestly I don't believe it will be any better. He must be using the wrong kind of liner inside these tanks. I can't believe I am the only one who has had problems. I am so frustrated I want to just take the whole bike apart and build a chop with a solid steel sporster tank. I feel like its the ethanol they put in the fuel here, but then again, they use the stuff all over the country now days.
Jefft

No expert but yes there are issues with ethanol and some fiberglass tanks. The boating industry has really had problems with this. I would google fiberglass tank, ethanol and see what "cure" if any there is.

how did it work with the new tank Robert sent you? I have one of his tanks that i have yet to put fuel in. I guess i'll know come spring. Omar's never shipped my order complete, took over 6 months after he told me all was in stock, still never received the gas cap for the tank or the decal kit that i paid for.

jefft...did the new tank work ok?

MB Canada. I tell ya, I was so fed up with Omar that when the new tank finally arrived I immediately put the thing up for sale on ebay. I never even tried the new one so I don't know if it was any better or not. I think the fiberglass tank builder has chimed in here and was very sure his tanks would hold up to ethanol but I can't remember what the name of his company was. He builds tanks for race guys and said they would hold up to any kind of fuel.
jefft

jefft, thanks for yer reply. I'm glad to hear as i plan to use the tank on my street tracker build. The thing with Omar's that really got me was not so much the slowness, or a family loss (lost a close family member myself to Cancer recently) as i know how those things can mess folks around. My thing is that i paid premium extra for custom decals that to this day were never shipped. All communication was lost with Omar's when i opened the final box and kindly contacted (or tried several times) to contact him about it.

So, i'm all done my rant... Omar's cost me money and time and i've now told others about it. I gave Omar's another 6 months to at least return an email or phone message. When there is a problem... Omar's went into hiding. I wanted others to know what happened to me.

For the record (and the Tank Manufacturer) the tank looks to me like a really fine product.

Oh yea, the tank looked in every way ok. The truth came after about 3 months in my garage with fuel in the tank. I have to say too that the first tank I got from Omars had a problem even before the fuel problem. When I first recieved the tank and before I even put a drop of fuel in it, I tried to set it on the bike just to see what it would look like. The first thing I noticed was the bungs were offset. In other words the thing would not fit into the grooves on each side. This is why I returned the tank the first time. Shipping was on me as it was every time I sent it back. I have an engine in the garage that will need to be rebuilt due to the tank innards that found there way into my carbs and motor. Hope he has gotten all these issues lined out now so others won't have the same problems.
jefft

Went through the same deal got fed up and ebayed my tank as soon as I got it after 4 months of waiting. Perhaps after he retires he will have more time for this venture. I really want one of his fork braces but I'm not willing to go through the hassle again. Seems like a good guy on the phone. just has too much other stuff going on

MB Canada. I tell ya, I was so fed up with Omar that when the new tank finally arrived I immediately put the thing up for sale on ebay. I never even tried the new one so I don't know if it was any better or not. I think the fiberglass tank builder has chimed in here and was very sure his tanks would hold up to ethanol but I can't remember what the name of his company was. He builds tanks for race guys and said they would hold up to any kind of fuel.
jefft

Re: Internally coated fiberglass tanks? Anyone use one?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a very interesting thread and a GREAT site. I was referred here by a good buddy and customer and hope to shed some light on the fuel situations.

My name is Jake Latimer, owner of Grand Prix Speed Works. www.grandprixspeedworks.com.

I am HEAVILY involved in flattrackers and streetrackers and have been my entire life. Our tanks,seats, and various components can be found on and have been used by nearly all teams in the AMA flattrack GNC series. We are involved and have done work for The Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Ducati teams and strive to supply the BEST product at the BEST price made right here in the good ol USA.

Our tanks are impervious to any fuel you will be using ethanol included. It is ALWAYS a good rule of thumb to drain the fuel in ANY tank if it is going to sit for an extended period of time anyway. But that is up to you.

Bottom line is I am an avid professional racer, and what has kept our company alive and well for over 50 years is just that. We get it, we know what you want and are looking for. Get a tank, pour in fuel and GO!..no worries. That is what it is all about.

Check out the website, we can literally take care of just about every need you may have.
And PS:.check to see if the manufacturer that you are purchasing from actually builds the product. We supply not only to the public, but have a vast wholesale/distribution market here and over seas.
I will be happy to answer any questions, My phone is always on
:thumbsup:

Jake Latimer
Grand Prix Speed Works
307-235-1401
http://grandprixspeedworks.com/Home_Page.html

Hi everybody
Has somebody dealed with Jake Latimer Grand Prix speed works?
I have one order with him since 8 months and payed more than $3000 but he doesn't answer my emails and phone calls. I think he is not profesional and unreliable.I recommend not to deal with him if you don't want to llose your money
Bruno
FRANCE

Hi everybody
Has somebody dealed with Jake Latimer Grand Prix speed works?
I have one order with him since 8 months and payed more than $3000 but he doesn't answer my emails and phone calls. I think he is not profesional and unreliable.I recommend not to deal with him if you don't want to llose your money
Bruno
FRANCE
Sorry to hear that about Grand Prix, Ive had good success with there products and no problems with comunications. What I like about doing business with jake is he's a racer that uses his own products and this is all he does for a living. I used to purchase tanks and seats from Robert at Omars but things could never get worked out in a timely manner. I would still purchase other items from him if he had it in stock.

Bryan

I don't kow the manufacturer of this tank, I pulled it off of a tt500 I bought last summer. It has held fuel without issue for about 5 months now?

With summer coming I need to come up with some replacement glass for the tt and I figured to try a tank from Gopher Glass if anyone has a review or any experience on their parts I'd like to hear it. thanks gramps

photo_zps023d8914.jpg

FeedBack on J Latimer Grand Prix Speed Works & Omar Robert Ward sdtr
Having purchased parts at the both I testify that the both have the sames methods. Very sympatic and available until the order and after the payment ....pfuttttttt they disappeared
Half the order ($3500) delivered after 8 month by the first, nothing delivered for the second ($800) 2 months after (delivery announced 1 month for the first 2 weeks for the second)
For me they are not reliable and professional, and I m mainly disappointed by J Latimer whose I thought it was more serious as DT racer.
I recommend to be very very careful before dealing with these guys

Bruno Fr

FeedBack on J Latimer Grand Prix Speed Works & Omar Robert Ward sdtr
Having purchased parts at the both I testify that the both have the sames methods. Very sympatic and available until the order and after the payment ....pfuttttttt they disappeared
Half the order ($3500) delivered after 8 month by the first, nothing delivered for the second ($800) 2 months after (delivery announced 1 month for the first 2 weeks for the second)
For me they are not reliable and professional, and I m mainly disappointed by J Latimer whose I thought it was more serious as DT racer.
I recommend to be very very careful before dealing with these guys

Bruno Fr

WOW!:doh:

happy end
after 8 month , Jake Latimer kept his word and sent me the missing parts. He even offered to pay me if I did not want to wait more. So I got all the parts to build a KR replica but you must have strong confidence and not be pressed and stressed
About Omar Robert Ward no response from him since the order fortunately I ordered through paypal that has refunded me in time
asap

I am having problems with Robert Ward at Omar's as well. Ordered parts from him that he seemed to indicate over the phone were in stock, and now he is not responding to emails. Been over 2 months since I ordered, and almost a month since I heard from him even though I have emailed him weekly. This will be the last time I deal with him.

I hate hearing this since I have had a really good experience ordering from Omars.

I have been waiting on Grand Prix Speed Works for 15 months now. I paid him in full in the beginning so I guess that was an invitation for him to ignore my project, emails and phone calls.

40$ get some Caswell tank epoxy. It will fix it.. It is essentially glass epoxy. Works EXCELLENT

Back