OMG 5twins Centerstand Mods

I think a good center stand mod would be to cut some out of the height and weld it back together. As long as the rear wheel still cleared the ground a little.

Last edited:
5Twins :
that foot hook looks like it is going to stick out too far and be about 1" from the muffler.... they may well come like that stock and be perfectly fine
I dunno ! but I bent mine up a bit and tucked it in around the muffler tighter and the added bend gives more leverage to the foot pressure
now when I step on the foot hook mine rises it never did that before... then I just give it a tug from the frame and up it goes
its so much better now that I shortened the legs you should try it !
I till have 1/2" of ground clearance with the rear tire when it's on the centerstand too so I do not recomend you take any more off than I did
(1/2" and grinding the cuts flat= 3/4" MAX or the wheel will touch when its up on the stand ! )
.... Just so you know !
Bob.............

xjwmx: your right but 1" is too much !!!!! 1/8" at the stand is worth about 1/2" at the tire
Eyeballing it I figured that I'ed try 1/2" off the legs it wound up being almost 3/4" change in height by the time it was weldec back together again
they measured 9" from bolt hole center to the bench top when I started they ended up being 8 1/4" from bolt hole center to the bench top
technically the right side one came out a bit shorter than the left by about 1/8" max .... if it bugs me I'll weld a plate on the foot ! LOL
another thing that could probably really help is where the stops are add a 1/8" square plate flat on it's surface to build it up and make it easier to come OFF the center stand...... I've yet to do that ! i figure I will when I put the zerks in !

Careful, it may not "lock" in the down position if you build the stop up too much. Or, it may not "lock" by much, only requiring a gentle nudge to knock the bike down off the stand.

The curve of the tang usually follows the curve of the muffler pretty well. Yours may have been bent. If you have aftermarket mufflers, a simple pad can be made from a short length of heater hose. That way the tang won't "clang" with metal to metal contact when in the up position .....

JWV1MX3.jpg

Last edited:
Very true 5Twins ! I'll test it before I weld the plates on there...
mine are stock mufflers and are almost straight from the headder pipe the tang does not touch it but it rests against a bracket for it that used to have a rubber pad/bumper on it, on both sides I think I.....
the bike on the center stand is so "Secure " in it's Locked position that it slides on the concrete floor when I try to take it off the centerstand.... probably due to it's slight bend
i could just lay a bead of weld too and build it up that way
the stops in the frame are 2"x1" solid 1/2" plate chunks..... they did not bend ! LOL
but sense I have to put my foot infront of the tang to get it down off the centerstand I think it's a bit too Hard.... i don't want it to fall off the stand if I bump into it though so I'll be carefull........
Bob..........

Last edited:
Hay RG ! if your going to take it to a shop to get it welded anyway, have them take off 1/2" off each leg and re weld it for ya ! they shouldn't charge too much for that easy job eh ?
it sure did wonders for my '83 XS650 Heritage......
it's a thought !
Bob.......

Wow, you really braced that puppy, lol. You should have no worries about the tang ever breaking off. And as I mentioned, I think this improves stand function as well. Less flex of the tang means more force transmitted into deploying the stand. The bike just plain goes up on the stand easier.

Back